The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

sneeze and wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

sneeze and wine

by Thomas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Some wines, after just one sip, make me sneeze. I am convinced it's the oak. Just sipped a Domaine Claivel 03 Coteaux du Languedoc--Les Garrigues. One sip and a sneezing fit.

Oh, the wine is ok--the true smell of the earth with some decaying leaves on top, some raspy-bramble and a touch of pepperwood in the taste. In short--a sneezer.

I wonder why they list the 14% alcohol twice on the label? One on top of the other--same thing with 750 ml. Strange.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: sneeze and wine

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:01 pm

The same thing happens to me from time to time, but haven't logged the occurances. Will have to in the future.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 pm

That's interesting Thomas. I suppose that the histamines and bacteria in wine can have odd effects on the sinus cavities.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Mishy M.

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:38 pm

by Mishy M. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 pm

I have the same problem.
My nose gets stuffy and by the end of the night I am completely stuffed-up. I find taking an antihistamine helpful - the non-drowsy kind.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:29 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:That's interesting Thomas. I suppose that the histamines and bacteria in wine can have odd effects on the sinus cavities.

Prost!
Bill

I believe it is the wood, or perhaps the wine has to be at a certain histamine level, 'cause it does not occur with all red wines. Now that I think of it, the sneeze can also be connected to Brett--I learned about histamine build up and Brett in a seminar. Forgot that; have to watch for the next time it happens.

Mishy, I don't like to take pills much. Wouldn't even swallow Lipitor when the doc said that I should.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:15 pm

I've had the exact same symtoms with some highly hopped beers. I've always attributed it to the hops. But...now..given what everyone here has said? Maybe its origins lie in the yeast?

Richard