The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mystery Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Mystery Wine

by Jim Grow » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm

On the rare occasions that I have participated, I used to love blind tastings. I was a member of a small (6-8 member ) wine tasting group from my office and I seemed to be the only one who wanted to do tastings that way. I was never intimidated and never afraid to make outlandish guesses which were ,on occasion, correct. That said, this wine, a 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley, was bought "blind" or "Sleeper", as they say, as I bought it from Last Bottle with the caveat that, other than from Napa Valley, they could not tell the buyer any more details. Well, the good news is that it is a wonderful Napa Cabernet. Color is black/purple and nose is of cassis and eucalyptus and a bit of sage. After a 6 hour splash decant and 1 hr. into a fine meal of beef pot roast, baby red potatoes and sweet carrots the palate followed exactly. The balance is perfect and the herbal note is blossoming as I write so the future seems assured. Drinkable now with lots of air, I'd put the fruit/herb blend at 2/3 cassis, 1/6 eucalyptus and 1/6 sage. I have 3 more bottles and would love to see how this wine preformed in 2025. If I was a young man I'd buy another case or two to watch evolve. abv of 14.5% I do wonder who produced this wine?