The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: who am I, and what am I doing here?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: who am I, and what am I doing here?

by Patchen Markell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 am

A week ago I was on a loooong flight home from Helsinki after a week there and in Jyväskylä, now I'm in a Holiday Inn in Nashville with a bunch of deutsche Philologen, but in between the Lakka and the Bulleit -- come to think of it, "between the Lakka and the Bulleit" might have been a song I heard at the hotel bar last night (right when they were getting ready to Finnish) -- I had a few interesting bottles of wine at home. It was a week for opening some new-to-us labels from California (notes from memory):

Liquid Farm 2013 Santa Rita Hills Chardonnay "Golden Slope." 14.0% abv, blended from several vineyards' parcels to represent a lusher style, this is indeed ripe and mouthfilling, with pear and tropical fruit, but also a solid enough acid structure to carry it, and a lot of back-end complexity, including gentle wood spice and something green, almost like that bit of melon flesh that's right at the edge of the rind. I have a feeling I'll prefer the "White Hill," but this is really good and I'd happily buy it again on my own dime ($36).

Kutch 2013 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. 12.6% abv, IIRC. Lovely nose, medium-intensity raspberry and cranberry fruit with some grip on the finish, this was the sort of bottle that I simultaneously wanted to savor and to gulp. Gulping won the day. Solid value for the region at $38.

Jonata 2013 Ballard Canyon, Santa Ynez Valley red wine, "El Alma de Jonata." 13.5% abv, 80-some percent Cabernet Franc, the rest mostly Cabernet Sauvignon with a little bit of Merlot. This was aromatic and delicious and also very young. The Cab Franc signature was understated but unmissable; the fruit was silken and "soft" without being at all unfocused, and it ranged pleasingly from bright to deep; and the use of wood was judicious, lending the wine a toasty undercurrent without any obvious char or vanilla or other Starbucks Latte flavors; it'll integrate easily with time. That said: I got two bottles of this at about 40% off the $140 release price -- which induces a different kind of "gulp" -- and even at the discounted price, it probably wouldn't be a repeat purchase.

I did actually have some excellent wine in Finland, too -- two very good glasses of white and red South African blends at Ravintola Lasipalatsi in Helsinki, for example, and some excellent glass pours with a tasting menu in Jyväskylä -- French and Italian but also a Finnish fruit wine with just a hint of cloudberry, which I preferred to straight Lakka. But I didn't take notes on labels. I do, however, HIGHLY recommend the restaurant "Chapter," on Aleksanderinkatu across from the cathedral, which apparently has opened only in the last few weeks -- I ate at the bar, but even their "simple" bar food was outstanding; a whitefish crudo with fresh and fermented cucumber and vendace roe was one of the best things I've eaten this year, and I had a very nice conversation with one of the owners (who are 20-somethings who had worked in Michelin restaurants but struck out on their own to escape that hierarchy). They also make outstanding cocktails.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: who am I, and what am I doing here?

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:51 am

Nice notes.

I keep trying to like Liquid Farm, and it is just not hitting me in the right spot. The Golden Slope is too lush for my tastes. The Four is really nice, but at $10 more than a Ramey single vineyard I don't see a reason to step up. I think I have a White Hill downstairs from a past mixed purchase. Will have to check.

The Sonoma Coast bottling is my favorite of Jamie Kutch's wines. It may not be the "best" but it is a fine value in the category, as you mention in your note. Overall I could probably get by very well if I only bought Sonoma Coast AVA Pinot Noir, and no SV bottlings. Kutch, Wind Gap, Littorai, etc. all excel with the regional blend.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks, David. I think I also picked up a Bohan Vyd PN from Kutch, and maybe one other single-vineyard (can't recall right now); I'm looking forward to trying them.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Fun notes; I always enjoy the notes within the context of your life (like Dale's). Very much agree you will prefer the White Hill, it's fruit is firmly Californian but it's aspirations are Burgundian where the Golden Slope is more hedonistic. I actually liked the Golden Slope a lot dining on seafood al fresco mid-day at one of Maui's finest restaurants--eating tropical food while surrounded by lush greenery and ocean breezes, it works. Where the last White Hill we had was perfect at Boulevard in San Francisco (didn't we talk about that?) on a cool June eve with burrata and truffles. I just drug a Bien Bien home from California that I have yet to try, and also own La Hermana (or something like that). The BB is the most expensive, almost double the price of the White Hill, so will be interesting to experience.

Haven't had any Jonatas yet--I own some but am sure mine are Chateneuf blends. Didn't realize that were doing a cab franc based wine out of the same area.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Sounds like the White Hill will be a nice autumn wine! (And thanks!)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:37 pm

It's definitely not tropical like the Golden Slope.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Oh, and p.s., I also picked up a Jonata white blend, Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon, for $40 that I’m looking forward to. I think everything I saw of theirs was Bordeaux-inspired; I didn’t even know they did Rhonish things.

And yes, I think we did talk about Boulevard! — I was supposed to go there in August but got some signals crossed and made my res for the wrong night. Ah, well...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

When I read your headline, I figured there must be a winery named Stockwell. Great notes anyway.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Wasn't it Stockdale? But yes, 1992 was a good vintage for campaign one-liners: there was also Perot's "I'm all ears...." :-)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm

The syrah blend is called "Todos".
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Wasn't it Stockdale? But yes, 1992 was a good vintage for campaign one-liners: there was also Perot's "I'm all ears...." :-)

D'oh! You are right on all counts.