The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Super Sicilian (Terre Nere Prephylloxera)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Super Sicilian (Terre Nere Prephylloxera)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 am

2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Prephylloxera La Vigna di Don Peppino - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (11/9/2017)
Tasted blind alongside two other 2014 Terre Nere wines (Calderara Sottana and Feudo di Mezzo), this was a big step up. Don't get me wrong, I really liked all three bottlings, but the increase in both intensity and elegance of this bottling was very clear. The aromatics promised so much, and the flavors delivered. Flowers, red berries, wet stones, rosemary, anise, pencil shavings and more all swirled around, each one peeking out on its own once in a while, or mingled together in the mix. It was a fascinating wine just to smell, which is always the sign off a great bottling. On the palate the fruit showed off at first, with the herbal and floral elements coming in on the mid-palate. The texture was firm but supple, with more elegant tannic expression than the other two bottles. What really set this wine apart was a beautiful creaminess on the finish, and the lingering palate presence. One sip lasted so long. Great balance and depth predict a long future for the wine. It was a privilege and pleasure to taste it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Super Sicilian (Terre Nere Prephylloxera)

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 pm

This does sound special. And it makes me curious to taste. I see it's not cheap, but it's also not prohibitively expensive. I guess the main challenge is getting one of the very limited bottles?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:21 pm

It's worth the search.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 am

Nice. I really like this winery and I have a bottle of the Prephylloxera 2010 still hoarded away.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Found this on a wine list in Chicago last night. Wouldn’t normally pay the markup, but the wine director there has been very generous to us for years, so why not? And wow, you’re not kidding. No formal TN but this is really stunning stuff. Thanks, slightly belatedly, for this note....
cheers, Patchen