The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

UPS vs. FedEx (again)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

UPS vs. FedEx (again)

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:44 pm

So on Wednesday I get an email from UPS advising me of a wine delivery for yesterday--the wine left California on Tuesday. Standard timing. So yesterday afternoon I pull up the notification to verify which wine they're delivering, only to notice that the wine's last scan was Portland OR around 7 a.m. On the same page the anticipated delivery was still shown as between noon and 5 p.m. here 300 plus miles away, even though the step "On Truck for Delivery" had never been achieved. Not until around 9 p.m. last night did they send the obviously required update. GRRRRR.

This happens to me all the time with UPS. Fedex? Never. Deliveries are executed as estimated 100% of the time unless weather delays occur, and in those cases notification is immediate.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: UPS vs. FedEx (again)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I never have an issue with UPS.

50-60% of my FedEx deliveries are screwed up or the packages damaged.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 pm

And the only damaged package I've ever had? UPS. And the idiots didn't even bring/show me the box so I could vouch for their conclusions--after all, it's my refund, why wouldn't I want that? I had to raise a huge ruckus to get them to bring it back for me to inspect. Wasn't just a little break either, every bottle in it was crushed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I am a big advocate of FedEx. Never had a problem. I am also educating my UPS delivery staff to deliver without a signature. The original computer delivery date and actual delivery date sometimes does vary with either service but that is O.K. unless I will be gone over an extended time period in which case I will delay delivery.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 am

That education could cost a driver his or her job.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 am

Nah, why would I rat him out! I also have an agreement with a FedEx delivery guy to receive wine 2-3 times a year for my neighbor who I then deliver the wine to personally. She has a long lane with little/no turn-around so it's kinda "I'll scratch your back and you mine".
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

It's not about you ratting them out.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 am

We've had good luck with both UPS and FedEx. <knocking on wood>
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm

I never have wines shipped to me, but participate in some other hobbies (e.g. bikes and bike parts) where shipping delicate and expensive items is common. There are many horror stories about crushed packages and sloppy delivery from both UPS and FedEx and the consensus is that both have taken a turn for the worse in recent years. This wouldn't really apply to wine, but it is better to get things shipped from Europe via a carrier that transfers the package to the US Postal Service (e.g. Royal Mail), rather than UPS or FedEx. This is because the latter will try to assess a 'customs processing fee' (aka pure profit) upon delivery, even if there is no customs due.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I am also educating my UPS delivery staff to deliver without a signature. The original computer delivery date and actual delivery date sometimes does vary with either service but that is O.K. unless I will be gone over an extended time period in which case I will delay delivery.

I have arranged for my wine shipments to be delivered to the local FedEx office and held there for me to pick up. That solves the signature problem. Last time I looked, this wasn't an option with UPS.

UPS has a terrible reputation among amateur astronomers for not paying up on the package insurance when they damage the goods.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Last time I looked, this wasn't an option with UPS.

Paul, it's only an emergency option in my area, and they're only open four days a week from 2 to 6 p.m. for pickup--they make damned sure you don't want to let your packages end up there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm

UPS depot open M-F 11 AM to 6 PM a mile from my work. Easy in and out!