The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need some help with Beaujolais

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Need some help with Beaujolais

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm

So my neighborhood tasting is coming up Friday, and it's Beaujolais. I sold the tasting on the strength of hype around the '15 vintage. WELL, turns out that most of the 15s are gone and 16s are coming in. Pick of the litter? I have anything but.

Here are some names a retailer and I are bandying about, let me know if any are wines you'd recommend (or specifically advise me to avoid); I've had none of them:

To confirm, you’ll be getting the 2015 Domaine Dupeuble Beaujolais ($13.95) and the 2015 Domaine Jean-Michel Dupre Regnie Haute Ronze Vieille Vignes ($16.95) from me. Also, you expressed interest in the 2015 Domaine Michele Tete Julienas. The one that they list in their catalog is the Cuvee Tradition. It would be $22.95 on the shelf. They also list the 2015 Saint-Amour Les Capitans ($24.95) from the same producer. I’ll need to verify with Gabe regarding inventory tomorrow.
You expressed interest in 2015 Piron Brouilly ($24.95). The distributor lists the 2014, not 2015 for that wine. They do, however, list the 2015 Domaine Piron Chenas Quartz for $26.95/bottle. I’ll confirm this with my sales rep tomorrow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Need some help with Beaujolais

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Well I like Tete. Wish I could still find it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Jenise wrote: You expressed interest in 2015 Piron Brouilly ($24.95). The distributor lists the 2014, not 2015 for that wine.

I don't know many of those specific wines, but one word of (potential) caution about 2014. In the past week I've had 2014 Foillard CdP and Descombes Morgon VV and both were pretty closed and only giving slight peeks at their glory. It's a gorgeous vintage and I'm happy to have a few more bottles. And I have no idea how my experiences generalize to the rest of 2014 wines right now. But you might want to be cautious and get some better info about how they are showing before buying and opening a bunch of 2014.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote: You expressed interest in 2015 Piron Brouilly ($24.95). The distributor lists the 2014, not 2015 for that wine.

I don't know many of those specific wines, but one word of (potential) caution about 2014. In the past week I've had 2014 Foillard CdP and Descombes Morgon VV and both were pretty closed and only giving slight peeks at their glory. It's a gorgeous vintage and I'm happy to have a few more bottles. And I have no idea how my experiences generalize to the rest of 2014 wines right now. But you might want to be cautious and get some better info about how they are showing before buying and opening a bunch of 2014.

I hear you. I've stayed away from '14s (which I too love) and the more closed '15's. In fact, even though I sold this tasting as a retrospective of the '15 vintage, I've purchased two '16s--the Clos du Roilette Fleurie and the Thivin Cotes de Brouilly.

And I picked up the '15 Lapierre Cuvee MMEWERHIIXX or whatever it is for myself. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well I like Tete. Wish I could still find it.

Thanks. Not a producer I've experienced. I'll order both the Juliennas and the St. Amour.