The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pax in our time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Pax in our time

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 pm

2016 Pax Syrah Sonoma Hillsides - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/13/2017)
Comparisons are always made between new world wines and their old world counterparts. I won't do that here, even though I could. What I will do is say that this wine reminds me of some of the greatest Edmunds St. John Syrahs. It has the same balance, the same measured fruit and the savory elements that make for a complex and fascinating package. It's senseless to break the wine into its component parts because it is so well integrated. This appears to be positioned for a long and graceful life, and I am glad to have several bottles in the cellar. One note-give it two to three hours of air if trying soon. It needs the time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Pax in our time

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the note, David.

As much of a fan as I am of the Windgap wines, I have never really sampled the Pax label wines very much! I may need to rethink that.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pax in our time

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 pm

They do tend to be richer than the Wind Gap wines, though not so big as they were during Pax 1.0. This particular bottling leans Wind Gap.
Decisions are made by those who show up