The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

5 Zins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

5 Zins

by Peter May » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm

So we stayed a week in a cottage on Sanibel Island, Florida, and because it was too far to walk to a restuarant in the evening, ate at home. We accompanied five dinners with the following Zins

dinner-wines.png

2015 Ghost Pines Zinfandel Winemaker's Blend
2012 Grgich Hills Zinfandel
2015 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage Vines
2014 Ridge Three Valleys
2015 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County

No tasting notes, all were excellent, but the one that delivered most drinking pleasure was

2015 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage Vines

Ghost and Grgich were purchased on the strong recommendation of the wine buyer at the store, never before had them.

sanibel-beach-11h00-20171108.png

Sanibel is made of shells, beach at back is fine white sand from crushed shells, closer to water the more complete the shells. At the water line is the new crop. Tourist accommodations come with mesh shell tables and hosepipes for shell washing and there are special metal shell nets for scooping them up.

We last went to Sanibel and its neighbouring island Captiva in the 70s -- they're a lot more developed now, but no buildings taller than the palms and large proportion of the island is nature preserves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Yup, Peter.. that DryCreek is consistently good, a real value, and quintessential DryCreekVlly Zin. Nothing profound, but just really good drinking. You did good!!
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: 5 Zins

by John Treder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I certainly agree with Tom on the DCV. Grgich Hills is old-line Napa wine, a bit more flowery as I recall than Sonoma wines. But it's been a while. Ridge's 3 Valleys, while "good enough restaurant wine", isn't particularly expressive of anything. And I am, in general, a Ridge fan. I don't know the others.
John in the wine county