The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 Copain - Roussanne & Thompson Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2005 Copain - Roussanne & Thompson Syrah

by Jason Hagen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 pm

• 2005 Copain Roussanne James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/18/2017)
    This was never a great wine but in its youth the wine was enjoyable despite the lack of acidity. Now it is an over oxidized mess. Probably not meant to be aged like this but it was one of those bottles that got lost in the cellar. (64 pts.)

• 2005 Copain Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/14/2017)
    Wow. So it has been 9 years since I have popped a bottle of this and the wait was worth it. The 2005 is really hitting a great stride. Still power focused with great balance. Blue and black fruits. When young, this wine was dominated by the stems. Now everything is integrated and is an amazing example of a big Santa Barbara syrah. Full bodied and medium acid. Yum. (94 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: 2005 Copain - Roussanne & Thompson Syrah

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Doesn't Larry (Tercero) always talk about Roussanne being this grape with long aging potential?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm amused by your 64 pt score. When a wine's that bad I don't think I bother to try to quantify exactly how bad it is. Unfit to drink? 79.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Doesn't Larry (Tercero) always talk about Roussanne being this grape with long aging potential?

Yup, David...Larry does. As does TomHill/BobLindquist/JasonHaas....and others. But Roussane can become overripe and make an underacid wine that falls apart pretty fast. This JamesBerry was one such.
But a Qupe or a TablasCreek or a WhiteHermitage can easily go 10 yrs because it has decent acidity.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 am

Jenise wrote:I'm amused by your 64 pt score. When a wine's that bad I don't think I bother to try to quantify exactly how bad it is. Unfit to drink? 79.

Hah. For me it was unfit to drink. Wanted to quantify so as to contrast with the syrah. To be fair, my neighbor liked the wine and actually took it home. To be fair again, she had a raging cold and probably could taste or smell the wine :D

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

Re: Yup....

by Jason Hagen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 am

TomHill wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Doesn't Larry (Tercero) always talk about Roussanne being this grape with long aging potential?

Yup, David...Larry does. As does TomHill/BobLindquist/JasonHaas....and others. But Roussane can become overripe and make an underacid wine that falls apart pretty fast. This JamesBerry was one such.
But a Qupe or a TablasCreek or a WhiteHermitage can easily go 10 yrs because it has decent acidity.
Tom

Interesting. I've had old and young white Hermitage that were wonderful but I didn't think they were 100% Roussanne. Also IIRC, the price was out of wack. I have to say, I think Roussanne may be the only grape that has never done anything for me. When by itself that is. And then I consider the price :( Maybe I'll check out a Tablas or Qupe.

Jason