The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White & Red From Friuli...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White & Red From Friuli...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Tried these w/ Susan on Fri night:
1. Massican Gaspare Dd'OC: Bianco Friuli Colli Orientali (43% Friulano/29% RibollaGialla/28% Chard; 13.5%) P&B by Ronco del Gnemiz/SanGiovanni al Natisone 2016: Med.light gold color; somewhat herbal/SB-like fairly fragrant/floral/TF rather flinty/steely/mineral/perfumed talc classic ColliOrientali white very attractive nose; quite tart/steely/bit lean somewhat rich rather mineral/stony/flinty/chalky slight white pepper/RG some floral/TF/pear blossom/pear quite attractive flavor; very long fairly tart/steely flinty/stony/chalky/mineral light floral/TF/white pepper/RG finish; speaks mostly TF but the Chard gives it a richness & texture most CO wines don't show; not a profound wine but a very attractive food-friendly white like you'd find in Friuli. $26.00
2. Ronchi di Pietro Schioppettino L'Anime da Nestre Tiare DOC: Friuli Colli Orientali (13%; L10; EnotecImports/Denver) Ronchi San Giuseppe di Zorzettig Francisco & Fulvio/Cividale del Friuli 2015: Very dark/near black color; very intense cracked black pepper/blackberry/boysenberry/very spicy some earthy/graphite bit smoked meats very perfumed/aromatic almost black muscat complex beautiful nose; rather tart intense cracked black pepper/boysenberry/blackberry/very spicy/peppery light herbal/thyme/pungent bit earthy/mushroomy very structured complex flavor w/ some hard/crunch tannins; very long/lingering rather tart intense cracked black pepper/boysenberry/blackberry/mulberry/very spicy rather graphite/earthy/herbal/thyme/pungent very structured finish w/ ample firm/chewy tannins; a classic intense expression of Schioppettino that needs 5-10 yrs at a stupid/silly price. $22.00 (AV)
1. This is a first for DanPetroski. Dan makes whites up in Calistoga that reflect on his love for Friuli wines and cusine. This is a wine that was actually made in the ColliOrientali by Ronco del Gnemiz. I've known the name, but have only had two of their wines, which I thought was pretty decent save for the Merlot. I liked this white quite a lot and it reminded me of a Miani TF (at 3 times the price), but not as fragrant and richly textured. Now if only he'd do another such effort w/ Schioppettino or Refosco.
2. This Ronchi di Pietro was a stunning expression of Schioppettino. Reminds some of a Failla Estate Syrah because of the cracked pepper, but not the structure & extract. Easily the best Schioppettino I've had in this country outside the Ronchi di Cialla (which is 3 times the price).
Paolo Rapuzzi was the person who rescued Schioppettino from extinction in Friuli. When we visited his son in Cialla; Evan pulled several older examples from his cellar that were stunning. I gifted him a btl of the Mathiassen Schioppettino to try. Clearly, a grape they should be planting all up&down the coast of Calif.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

FurtherMore..

by TomHill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 am

TomHill wrote:Tried these w/ Susan on Fri night:
1. Massican Gaspare Dd'OC: Bianco Friuli Colli Orientali (43% Friulano/29% RibollaGialla/28% Chard; 13.5%) P&B by Ronco del Gnemiz/SanGiovanni al Natisone 2016: Med.light gold color; somewhat herbal/SB-like fairly fragrant/floral/TF rather flinty/steely/mineral/perfumed talc classic ColliOrientali white very attractive nose; quite tart/steely/bit lean somewhat rich rather mineral/stony/flinty/chalky slight white pepper/RG some floral/TF/pear blossom/pear quite attractive flavor; very long fairly tart/steely flinty/stony/chalky/mineral light floral/TF/white pepper/RG finish; speaks mostly TF but the Chard gives it a richness & texture most CO wines don't show; not a profound wine but a very attractive food-friendly white like you'd find in Friuli. $26.00
1. This is a first for DanPetroski. Dan makes whites up in Calistoga that reflect on his love for Friuli wines and cusine. This is a wine that was actually made in the ColliOrientali by Ronco del Gnemiz. I've known the name, but have only had two of their wines, which I thought was pretty decent save for the Merlot. I liked this white quite a lot and it reminded me of a Miani TF (at 3 times the price), but not as fragrant and richly textured. Now if only he'd do another such effort w/ Schioppettino or Refosco.
Tom

FurtherMore....Dan relates that this is his 3'rd edition of Gaspare. The '14 was a wash-out and dumped. The '15 was quite reductive and purchased all by Frasca as their house wine. The '16 is the first one he's happy with and released as a Massican.
Dan goes to Friuli 4 times a yr and is totally involved in the production of this wine, including the final blend. It's a 100% Massican wine...just happens to be made in Friuli to highlight the terroir differences w/ his annia.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: A White & Red From Friuli...(short/boring)

by Jason Hagen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Wow! I didn't realize Dan did that. On a spending freeze so haven't paid much attention to news letters.

Massican was my favorite Cali wine discovery of 2015.

Thanks for the write up.

Jason