The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Forlorn-Hope Dragone Ramato PinotGris '16...(short/bori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Forlorn-Hope Dragone Ramato PinotGris '16...(short/bori

by TomHill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Tried this last night w/ Susan:
1. Forlorn-Hope Dragone Ramato PinotGris RorickVnyd/CalaverasCnty (Skin-frmtd;187 cs; 11%) 2016: Light garnet color; light floral/PG/bit spicy/rose petal very slight phenolic rather tight/closed nose; quite tart/tangy bit metallic/stony slight resiny fairly rich but austere very slight floral/rose petal/PG slight stony/chalky rather closed/tight flavor w/ slight tannic bite; med.long very light rose petal/floral/PG quite tart/tangy/bit austere light resiny/phenolic finish w/ light tannic bite; a very quiet/closed/tight/shut-down Ramato that I suspect will get a whole lot better w/ 6mo-1 yr; not showing much of anything right now but acid. $30.00
1. Wow.....if there ever was an Oakland ("there's no there/there":HerbCaen) wine, this was it. It didn't have that usual phenolic signature that you get from a skin-contact white, just a lightly resiny character. The aromatics were almost non-existent. Yet the wine didn't have that vapid/watery character you get in some wines. So the jury is very much out on this wine. There was no overt TCA that I could tell, but something sure robbed this wine of any character.
I had this happen before w/ a wine of Matt's ('15 Qua Saudade) that was very bizarre when I opened it just after it hit my front porch and, retried several months later, was much more akin to what I expected. So I'll just wait this one out a bit.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Forlorn-Hope Dragone Ramato PinotGris '16...(short/

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 pm

How on earth can one mess up Pinot Gris?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Don'tKnow....

by TomHill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:How on earth can one mess up Pinot Gris?

Don't know, Bob. He has made three previous vintages of his skin-contact PG and they
were all quite aromatic & fairly phenolic. I liked them a lot. I think this is an abberation.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:07 pm

...here in the Three-Dot Lounge, we’ve received a note from Strange de Jim observing that “There’s no there there” was Gertrude Stein’s characterization of Oakland, not Mr. San Francisco’s. And don’t call it Frisco!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Pinot Gris is not my favorite grape by a long stretch. My take might be Once again, someone tried to do something to make an interesting PG but failed. Having said that, Channing Daughters on Long Island makes a skin fermented PG, Ramato, that is quite good....
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

Joe Moryl wrote:

Pinot Gris is not my favorite grape by a long stretch. My take might be Once again, someone tried to do something to make an interesting PG but failed. Having said that, Channing Daughters on Long Island makes a skin fermented PG, Ramato, that is quite good....

Yup, Joe...I've had the CD Ramato and liked it quite a lot. A bit on the austere/phenolic side (the ones I've had),
but quite good.

I think the best of the PG's come from Alsace, some in the league of Riesling or GWT.
And there's some from Friuli/Slovenia that I also like a lot...and some quite boring.
As for SantaMargarita....bleh!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am

Surely you are forgetting PG from the Okanagan Tom.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Clueless...

by TomHill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Surely you are forgetting PG from the Okanagan Tom.

Clueless, Bob. Never had one from the Okanagan.
Have heard good reports, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Donkey and Goat makes a Ramato as well. As with many D&G wines, it can be "challenging", but definitely not insipid/.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach