The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rivers-Marie PN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Rivers-Marie PN

by Patchen Markell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Rivers-Marie 2010 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, "Gioia Vineyard." 14.1% abv. Rich, concentrated, and expansively aromatic black cherry and strawberry fruit over layers of forest (floor and bough), some stemminess, iron, and a long, lightly vanilla-laced finish. My first example of Rivers-Marie. For my taste, and given that the rest of the wine seems expressive and ready to go, it's still a little too easy to isolate the effects of the barrel treatment on the palate, but that's a very small complaint; overall, I'm pleased with the balance and the dynamism of the wine. One more bottle of this to go, which we'll probably drink in the relatively near term (before 10 years from vintage, for sure). I also have a 2011 Silver Eagle and a couple of '14 Summas.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Rivers-Marie PN

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm

I really love these wines. Bought several cases of 2012s, more or less accidentally. Had one in Vegas and was crowing about it to someone at a party, after the party was pretty well along mind you, and he said he had two allocations did I want one. "Sure!", I said, with no idea at all what that meant. And forgot about it.

Three days later I get a note from him saying the order had been placed and would arrive in about three days. Oh, and I owed him around $2000.

Took me a few hours to get up the courage to tell my husband.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:37 am

Wow. Remarkably generous of you to follow through: I can't imagine that that was actually a binding contract, if you didn't know how much you were committing yourself to. Good thing you liked the wine!

What I really want to know is how you managed to find a place to PUT several unexpected cases of anything! :D
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 pm

They lived in the hall for a few months. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov