The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: LaClarine/muRder riDge/Drew Wines...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: LaClarine/muRder riDge/Drew Wines...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm

We tasted tonight (10/25/17) Two New Wineries:
1. LaClarine Farm Albarino SierraFoothills WW (13.5%; U/U; www.LaClarineFarm.com) 2016: Light gold
somewhat cloudy color; slight VA/EA rather earthy/appley bit stony/chalky slight candied/lemon drop/
angel food cake somewhat interesting/unusual nose w/ little Albarino character; fairly tart rather
appley/apple cider/apple juice bit candied/angel food cake rather unusual/interesting flavor; very
long quite appley/apple juice/alpple cider tart/tangy/metallic very dry/bit austere bit stony/mineral
finish; a rather interesting/peculiar expression of Albarino like I've not seen before; certainly
not a bad wine, just unusual; would be better w/ food. $24.00
very strong appley/apple juice/apple cider rather phenolic/resiny baked/spiced apples rather complex
nose; very tart/tangy/metallic rather phenolic/apple cider/resiny some baked spiced apples bit bitter
quite tannic/apple skin quite skin-contact white flavor; very long quite tart/tangy bit bitter/apple skin
rather phenolic/resiny/apple cider some earthy some baked spicy apples quite resiny finish; no obvious
Albarino character and lots of resiny/skin-contact white character; quite an interesting/unusual/maybe
bizarre skin-contact white; needs food w/ it to tame the bitterness. $28.00
metallic finish; no PetiteManseng character that I can identify and lots of apple cider character. $30.00
plummy flavor w/ light raspy tannins; med. rather earthy/loamy/dusty mushroomy/rustic/bit coarse quite
acidic/screechy little fruit finish w/ light gritty tannins; no Grenache character that I can identify and
only slight Mourv character; not sure how the fruit was obliterated in a Grenache; a rather bizarre wine.
$24.00
Mourv/plummy/bit cherry rather earthy/loamy/dusty/root cellar bit apple cider lightly tart finish w/ light
grippy tannins; only LaClarine to show any varietal character; best of the LaClarines. $30.00
bright cherry/black cherry/PN/bit spicy flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long strong cherry/black cherry/
PN/black cherry cola some vanilla/toasted coconut/oak slight earthy/rustic finish w/ light smooth/polished
tannins; not the bright high-toned character of AndersonVlly Pinot and a bit of a sauvage character but quite
an interesting Pinot. $48.00
some earthy/dustylight vanilla/oak/toasted coconut nose; fairly tart strong blackberry/black cherry/black cherry
cola/Zin some toasted coconut/vanilla/oak bit earthy/dusty/forest floor flavor w/ modest smooth/bit tangy tannins;
very long strong blackberry/black cherry cola/Zin/spicy some vanilla/toasted coconut/oak some earthy/dusty/
pungent/forest floor finish w/ smooth/ripe tannins; alcohol doesn't show at all; lots of blackberry/Zin w/ an
interesting forest floor/pungent/damp pine needles component; quite an interesting Zin. $35.00
smooth tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/very spicy some earthy/dusty/forest
floor slight herbal/pungent/thyme light toasty/oak finish w/ some smooth/round/ripe tannins; a bit less intrusive
oak and a bit more extraction than the Wildlands; quite an interesting/attractive Zin. $38.00
light tangy tannins; very long strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/Syrah/plummy/black cherry light toasty/oak
slight herbal/forest floor complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; carries the alcohol well; a bit on the rustic
side compared to the Drews but a very interesting/complex if somewhat burly Syrah. $45.00
pungent almost Hermitage-like flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/Syrah/
spicy some toasty/Fr.oak herbal/thyme complex finish w/ light gentle tannins; lots of spicy Syrah fruit w/ loads
of Rhonish/Hermitage-like character; fully mature and hitting on all cylinders. $40.00
strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/very spicy/licorice bit herbal some w-c/peppery beautiful nose; fairly tart
spicy/peppery/w-c very strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy light smokey/oak slight herbal/pungent flavor w/ light crunchy
tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/spicy some w-c/peppery some smokey/oak bit
complex finish w/ light chewey tannins; much more Calif in style and less Rhonish; beautiful Syrah. $38.25
Fr.oak fairly peppery/w-c flavor w/ ample hard tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/Syrah/very spicy
slight Rhonish/roasted fairly strong peppery/w-c fairly toasty/smokey/oak slight herbal/thyme finish w/ ample
hard tannins; much like the '12 but a bit more intense and Rhonish; a beautiful Syrah that needs age. $45.00
Syrah/black cherry slight herbal/earthy/dusty/forest floor light toasty/oak classic Drew Syrah bit sauvage
complex nose; lightly tart rich/lush quite blackberry/black cherry/Syrah/very spicy some toasty/oak light
w-c/peppery structured slight herbal/thyme complex flavor w/ modest firm tannins; verylong/lingering very
strong blackberry/black cherry cola slight herbal/forest floor some toasty/oak structured finish w/ some
ripe/firm tannins; will benefit from 5-10 yrs of age; a rather unusual expression of Calif Syrah and more
like a Perli Zin than a classic Calif Syrah. $48.00
Syrah/licorice pungent complex flavor w/ light bit drying tannins;very long very strong charred/toasty/Fr.oak
light blackberry/Syrah/licorice rather roasted/Rhonish/espresso finish w/ light drying tannins; starting to
drop its fruit and drying out but loads of interesting Rhonish character. Sterbenz mystery wine.
________________________________________________________________________________
More alt-pontifications from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. LaClarine: These are the "natural" wines of HankBeckmeyer, one of the darlings of SweetAlice. I wanted to like
these wines. Alas, I didn't. Most of the group actively disliked them. The wines were not "bad", per see. I
suspect they would show better if taken w/ food.
The three whites had pretty much the same apple cider character and not any varietal character that I could
detect. I was excited to try the PetiteManseng, as I find that an interesting variety. Alas...disappointing.
The "natural" winemaking interfered any take on the potential of this variety in Calif.
I will go back and retry these w/ food over the next few weeks.
about a murder up on this isolated ridge many a yr ago. The strange puncuation is ment to convey a sense of a
typed ransom note sent to a newspaper. Kinda dark humor. The winemaker is LeslieSisneros.
The Maylena Syrah was sold out, but Leslie sprung for a library btl to include in my tasting. It was my favorite
of her wines. Alas, there will be no '17 Syrah. A local bear (presumably...but, who knows, he may have come from
miles away because the PerliRidge Syrah grapes are so special!!) took a liking to their Syrah grapes and devastated
the crop. There's a great video on their WebSite of this voracious bear. I bet one CaseyHartlip would not have
let this nefarious bear have his way w/ the Syrah.
I liked the two Zins quite a lot. They both had an interesting forest floor component that reminds me of
digging thru a pile of rotting pine needles out in the forest. A bit of a sauvage/rustic character w/ not a lot of
high-toned fruit notes. Neither had any signs of overripeness that the alcohol levels would suggest. They reminded
me some of JedSteele's old Anzilotti Zins w/o the overbearing oak. Both unusual renditions of Zin for Calif.
I would dearly love to see what JasonDrew would do with this Zin fruit.
I'd seek out, though.
the Drews. Jason use of w-c probably his Syrahs a bit more of a Rhonish character. At any rate, clearly this
tasting gives me a much greater appreciation of Perli as one of Calif's best Syrah vnyds.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: LaClarine/muRder riDge/Drew Wines...(long/boring)

by Patchen Markell » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Oh, so that's how the letters actually look on the muRder riDge label?

I thought it was JustYr/unusual kybrd. :wink: :wink: :wink:
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: LaClarine/muRder riDge/Drew Wines...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:33 pm

Drat! Donkey and Goat makes a Perli Vineyard Syrah I quite like. :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach