The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate

by Jason Hagen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:33 pm

• 2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/19/2017)
    Popped and poured and then consumed over about 4 hours. The wine is fine but not overly compelling. Still showing a lot of ripe primary fruit. Smells great and is tasty but everything about this wine is simple. Bright acidity does help with this massive wine. Hard to predict but I will hold my last bottle for another 5-7 years to see if it will transition. (88 pts.)

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Is Dehlinger still in production? I remember idolizing the wines back in the 90's, but rarely see them mentioned anymore and when the name does come up, it's an older bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: 2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Is Dehlinger still in production? I remember idolizing the wines back in the 90's, but rarely see them mentioned anymore and when the name does come up, it's an older bottle.

They are still in production, with the Dehlinger family running the show. Tom Dehlinger is making the wines. Not sure of the years but in the 80s and maybe 90s, Fred Scherrer was there as well. I think they might be mailing list only and I think they still do a library release in January. 2004 was so awful for California pinot noir, it kind of put the nail in the coffin for me. Dehlinger also does Cab and Syrah and they are killer.

Jason