The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2007 Aubert Lauren & 2014 Walter Scott Freedom Hill PN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2007 Aubert Lauren & 2014 Walter Scott Freedom Hill PN

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

• 2007 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/21/2017)
    Last time I had this was in 2012 where it had got into a bit of a groove. Still not for everyone but I enjoyed it. Now the nose has so much toffee, butterscotch, and chocolate. A little bit of pineapple creeping in. The palate is so rich and candied. Acid almost absent. I wonder how much RS is on this. Okay for a small glass if you can find the right pairing but not a wine for me. (78 pts.)

• 2014 Walter Scott Pinot Noir Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/20/2017)
    I must say, it took me awhile to fall in love with Freedom Hill Vineyard but it is now near the to top for me. Such great structure. This might be the first 2014 Oregon Pinot Noir that I have tasted, where the baby fat is starting to dissipate. Aromas are smokey, earthy, with flowers mixed in. Touch of orange rind creeping in on the nose as well. Flavors leaning to the dark fruit side. Plenty of acid and tannin to give this wine a nice edge. Oak is nicely present. I really enjoy this now but should probably let this sleep for a few more years. (93 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2007 Aubert Lauren & 2014 Walter Scott Freedom Hill PN

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm not very experienced with Auberts. Notes indicate an 05, an 09 and a 13 have crossed my path in recent years, and in one note I mentioned butterscotch, another pinapple ice cream topping and in another, Mae West, which is your "rich and candied". They've been interesting experiences but I wouldn't seek them out.

I've sure liked the Walter Scotts I've had. Interesting that Freedom Hill is beginning to work for you--I'm still a naysayer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: 2007 Aubert Lauren & 2014 Walter Scott Freedom Hill PN

by Jason Hagen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm not very experienced with Auberts. Notes indicate an 05, an 09 and a 13 have crossed my path in recent years, and in one note I mentioned butterscotch, another pinapple ice cream topping and in another, Mae West, which is your "rich and candied". They've been interesting experiences but I wouldn't seek them out.

I've sure liked the Walter Scotts I've had. Interesting that Freedom Hill is beginning to work for you--I'm still a naysayer.

A close family member buys a lot of Aubert Chards and all my bottles come from him. On occasion, with one or two years age, and a decent chill on them, they can be compelling but generally too hot for me. So I decided to let one sleep and see what would happen. Bad idea.

The Walter Scott Chards are stunning. It has been fun to learn that the Pinots are at a very high level as well. The wine-maker worked under Mark Vlossak and then Dominique Lafon and has access to the best vineyards, including 7 Springs.

Yes, I have really become a fan of Freedom Hill. I avoided it for many years other than wines I received in Clubs. Now I buy Patricia Green :-( (they have some different designations), St Innocent, & Walter Scott.

Jason