The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Paso Robles advice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Roberto Vigna

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Torino, Italia

Paso Robles advice

by Roberto Vigna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 am

My nephew, now in San Jose to complete his graduation, was invited for the Thanksgiving weekend in a ranch in the Paso Robles area.
He asked me for wineries but I do not have the slightest idea. I think he wants to buy some bottles to give to friends and the owner of the house where he lives. So nothing expensive or particularly geeky.
Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Roberto
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: Paso Robles advice

by Patchen Markell » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Tablas Creek is the first thing that comes to mind. Reliably well-made, pretty broad range of wines and price points. Not sure exactly where their tasting room is, though. (I’ve only been to Paso once and it was 15 years ago.) I’m sure Tom can make lots of suggestions!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Tablas Creek is the first thing that comes to mind. Reliably well-made, pretty broad range of wines and price points. Not sure exactly where their tasting room is, though. (I’ve only been to Paso once and it was 15 years ago.) I’m sure Tom can make lots of suggestions!

It's on Adelaida Road directly west of Paso proper.

That is quite a drive from San Jose, though. At least a couple of hours.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:10 pm

(It sounds like the point is that he’s going to be in Paso anyway and is looking for places to visit while he’s there.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:(It sounds like the point is that he’s going to be in Paso anyway and is looking for places to visit while he’s there.)

Ah. Then Tablas will fit the bill! :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 pm

Roberto,

Paso is a beautiful area and your nephew will have a great time on that ranch--many famous western movies starring people like John Wayne were shot up there. But it's also a hot climate region and the wines tend to be riper and more alcoholic than a European would be used to. For that reason, I'm not a fan and most people on this board wouldn't be either. Patchen mentioned one of the best--Tablas Creek is the California winery owned by the Perrin family of Beaucastel fame. A friend whose palate I respect thinks very well of Bessetti. Sorry to say I'm at a loss to come up with any others, but I would put Tobin James on your list of wineries to avoid. High alcohol and residual sugar, low acid, porty. Very popular brand with people who will never in their lifetime buy a good Chianti. ;)

The good news is that the wineries are all fairly close together, scattered either side of the major freeway that runs through town. He'll have a good time visiting tasting rooms and inevitably will stumble over something that suits--well, at least better than anything else.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov