The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: le dernier Roumier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: le dernier Roumier

by Patchen Markell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am

After much hemming and hawing, I had settled on an old Tempier Bandol to go with our mock porchetta yesterday. But after a fruitless search through the wine fridge, I decided that I must have misremembered bringing it home from storage, so we went with what proved to be a delicious plan B: a Domaine Georges Roumier 2002 Chambolle-Musigny. (I think there's also a 1er-designated village wine, but this wasn't that.)

A dozen years ago, I'd bought a couple of these and a few of Roumier's basic Bourgogne, intending to drink them sooner than this, but lost track of one of each until a recent cellar reorganization. The Bourgogne was very good, but this was even better. At first, it seemed out of balance, with the modest anise-laced cherry fruit outweighed by a tarry and then drying astringency on the finish; but as it unwound, everything fell into place, producing a wine of deep, dark fruit notes, complex savory accents, and a long, pure, sustained finish. Delicious!

Before dinner, we had a couple of glasses of the Long Meadow Ranch 2016 Napa Valley Chardonnay "LMR/Farmstead" with cheese. I remain impressed by the QPR here (I think I paid somewhere between $20-22 for this), and what I appreciate about it is that it's not too much of anything; the fruit is ripe enough to show tropicality, but only a little; there's acid cut and also richness, but in proportion; and there's the barest bit of perceptible oak on the finish. It doesn't taste like anything other than what it is -- it's obviously California Chardonnay -- but it's not a pumped-up or tarted-up cartoon of itself, either.

Nothing with dessert (my first homemade apple strudel!).

Hope everyone who celebrated yesterday had a happy Thanksgiving!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: le dernier Roumier

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 am

Sounds lovely. There is a 1er Chambolle in the Roumier stable, it’s Cras. I briefly eyed a bottle of the 2006 Cras for yesterday, before going with the Mugneret-Gibourg. All my (meager stash of) Roumier need much more time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am

Yes, if the village wine is still as structured at age 15 as this bottle was, I can't imagine a 1er from 2006 being ready yet. And, anyway, it sounds from your note like the Mugneret-Gibourg was a delicious call!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 pm

And of course there is also Amoureuses (but at prices far beyond most Grand Crus)
I used to buy the village and the Morey "Bussieres" regularly, with an occasional bottle of Les Cras. But with 2005 I stopped as the wines were "too expensive." If I had only known
I have one bottle of this ('02 CM) left, and a couple of bottles of I think '01 Bussiere, but once those are gone my Roumier owning days are done. :(
Thanks for note
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 pm

"If I had only known" is right!

Les Amoureuses, I have to admit, is sort of a unicorn wine for me. I can drift off on a cloud just reading the TNs. So, in pursuit of this silly fetish, I did acquire two '13s -- Groffiers, not Roumiers -- marked down from "insane" to merely "totally extravagent." I don't imagine opening one for several more years.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm

I purchased two bottles of the 1999 Domaine Roumier village Chambolle-Musigny. When I moved about a decade ago I lost track of where they were stored. Came across one of the bottles which I took to a tasting in 2009 when it was a decade after vintage. I hope to someday find the remaining bottle (if I haven't already consumed it and failed to remove it on CellarTracker.) (I did recently find two bottles of 1999 Jacques-Frederic Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Fuees" which I also had lost track of during the move. I remember they were purchased from Vintage Wines in San Diego--CellarTracker says I paid $65.00 a bottle.)
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I am living proof that there is hope for lost bottles of Burgundy! I found these two Roumiers plus a Lignier a decade-plus after purchase. Apparently it helps if the bottles are from producers whose names end in -ier, so I am optimistic you will find your Mugnier too. Ier! -- I mean, yay! :D
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 pm

I once found a presumed lost/drank Jaboulet Hermitage after about 5 years.

Maybe it’s just a French wine thing.
Decisions are made by those who show up