The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NV Hardys Whiskers Blake Classic Tawny, Australia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

NV Hardys Whiskers Blake Classic Tawny, Australia

by JC (NC) » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:58 pm

18% abv. The grapes aren't listed on the bottle but a previous note from a retailer mentions Grenache and Shiraz grapes. It also speaks of eight years average age, but my bottle says aged for ten years in French and American oak. This was one of several wines I took for a communal Thanksgiving dinner after a noon church service. I thought it would complement pecan or pumpkin pie. I think only one other person tried it besides me (the 2013 Failla Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast was emptied) so I took most of the bottle home with me. It's a pretty bright amber color. My notes are very similar to what I wrote after trying one in 2015 except I didn't note orange zest this time. I perceived nuts, prunes and other dried fruits and a suggestion of caramel toffee. It has received ratings of 88 from "Wine Enthusiast" and 94 from '"Wine Spectator" in the past with "Wine Spectator" calling it a tremendously complex Tawny and enthusing over its low price. I rated a bottle I drank n 2015 at 91 points and this bottle at 89 or 90 points so well worth the price.