The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs and GV at Blue Hill at Stone Barns

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs and GV at Blue Hill at Stone Barns

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:46 pm

I was having trouble with gifts for Betsy this Christmas besides a few things she had mentioned, so stuck a "gift certificate" for a date night at one of her favorite places (Blue Hill at Stone Barns) in her stocking. Last night was the night, and we had a lovely dinner. The location (old Rockefeller barns) is really nice, and the food was excellent.

We were each getting 3 courses plus dessert, I ordered us each a glass of white and then a half bottle of "Pavelot Savigny" (the waitress mumbled back "oh, sabany" or something close, but I assumed that she'd figure it out).

There were a couple of amuse bouches to start, a little shot glass of a rich vegetable soup topped with homemade "cranberry marshmallow" (quite interesting) and little crisp/chips of beet and celeriac. Good rolls, too.

Betsy started with a salad of greenhouse greens and herbs, topped with mushrooms and a panko-crusted soft egg ("this morning's egg"). She truly loved the salad, while pondering how it's possible to get a crust on an egg and still have it soft-cooked. She actually said it might be the best salad she's ever had in a restaurant- what are the chances of saying that in January?

2005 Soellner "Wogenrain " Grüner Veltliner - Pretty identifiable GV character, with white pear fruit with a sash of white pepper and a little lentily note. Light-bodied, with just a little edge of spritz. Not profound or long, but a nice light wine to start the meal. B

My starter was a lovely crabmeat salad, a nice scoop in a pool of a (I believe) lime and fava bean puree,with a little dollop of a citrus sorbet. The 2005 Roulot Bourgogne Aligoté was quite an excellent example of the grape, with bright and lively acidity giving it character. The fruit is mostly citrus (lemon) with just a hint of green apple, and a very satisfying mineral finish. If you don't fear acid a very satisfying and versatile white (it went well with my trout also). B+

Another amuse appeared, a sandwich of thin dark chocolate around foie gras. My second course was grilled brook trout, on a bed of Brussels sprouts leaves dressed with pistachios and a sauce of squash and pumpkin seed. Betsy's gnocchi with riccota cheese, sweet potatoes, chestnuts and parmesan was good, too.

About that time the sommelier presented a half bottle of Barolo - I said no, I ordered the Pavelot Savigny (I think the Barolo was Paulo Scavino, I can see the waitress scanning the half bottles and thinking that's what I said). He apologized, brought the 1999 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaunes. I nodded, he took away (and changed glasses to Burgundy stems), returned with the decanted bottle. I sniffed- uh oh- then sniffed again. I was on the fence, and told him that I thought I got some TCA first whiff, then not on second. He said "you know, I thought I did at first too, then convinced myself it was just bottle funk.- will be right back." Second bottle was totally different- no must, but tons of earth and a little brett (Betsy said "barnyard?", and I said yes but the little accent I like, not the "I stepped in a pile"). This 375 was quite lovely, rather masculine and meaty for a Savigny, with big black cherry fruit and a long finish. Really enjoyed, B+/A-

Went well with our main courses: I had the Stone Barns Berkshire pig with guanciale, Brussel sprouts, chick peas, and shell beans; Betsy had the
grass-fed lamb with a stew of local mushrooms, parsnip purée, hubbard squash and sunchoke broth. There was a bonus side of squash for us.

I nursed the Savigny through the cheese course (fine examples of Tallegio and Cabrales, plus an excellent Virginia cheese called Grayson and a blue from Rogue Creamery in Oregon- idea was pairs of New and Old World). Betsy enjoyed a filled bread pudding with coffee ice cream and her Darjeeling tea.

Really nice meal. Food was good (and portions too, except for a mysteriously small serving of gnocchi-what a funny thing to skimp on) and service friendly but not intrusive. he original mistake on the wine was my fault, I should have said "the '99 Pavelot Savigny le Beaune, " or at least reconfirmed when I saw waitress wasn't certain. I can't blame the sommelier for the first bottle, we've all had those "is this right?" moments.
Overall the wine service was well done, with nice stems (and nice little mini-carafes for the BTG wines, so you could keep as much in your glass as you wished). Fun night, with my favorite person in the world.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Re: WTN: Burgs and GV at Blue Hill at Stone Barns

by robs_r » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:55 am

Hi Dale!

2005 Soellner "Wogenrain " Grüner Veltliner

Nice wine. Wogenrain is the lightest of Söllner's Veltliner. It is fermented in steel tanks and stays on the lees for some time in cask.

They are fully biodynamic by the way (this seems to be quite popular now for the Wagram vintners).

Also very nice are the Veltliner Hengstberg (a bit more profound) and the Roter Veltliner, A Söllner speciality.

Haven't tried the '05s though, but based on the overall vintage characteristics and the good winemaking, I guess they should be lovely!

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Burgs and GV at Blue Hill at Stone Barns

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:06 pm

thanks for info. New producer to me, but I'll keep my eyes open.