The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bordeaux's 2006 vintage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Bordeaux's 2006 vintage

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:32 pm

So I realize they're trying to sell wine, but all the same: Is Vinfolio right?

"Every once in a while, a vintage comes around that neither critics nor consumers can stop raving about. In Bordeaux, 2006 was not one of those vintages—but the year before it was. The 2005 vintage was heralded as one of the greatest of all time for the region, and prices were justifiably high in accordance with the ratings. By the time 2006 rolled around, everyone was still fixated on the previous year, and the concentrated, structured wines of the later vintage lingered in the shadows of their forbearers.

While the enthusiasm for 2005 Bordeaux has not waned in the dozen years since, many Bordeaux-lovers are starting to realize the error they initially made in overlooking 2006. The vintage was somewhat of an anomaly for the region, with unexpected weather fluctuations at harvest that led to uncharacteristically firm tannins and dense, hedonistic fruit. The uniqueness of these wines—the best of which have lengthy lives ahead of them yet—combined with their excellent price-to-quality ratio, makes them equally perfect for gifting, reselling, or long-term cellaring for personal consumption."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Bordeaux's 2006 vintage

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:56 pm

I like 2006. But I like 2001 and 2004 more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Stylistically 2006 is one of my favorites. I love the dark, perfumey fruit. Cantemerle was lovely last year. Planning to wait a few more years on Calon Segur.

David, I'm also a fan of 2004 - every one I've had has been impressive - Ch. Margaux is awesome. I don't actually have any 2004 in the cellar, need to rectify that.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am

Am surprised to look at my inventory and see that I only own one '06, Meyney.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov