The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for December 2017: France!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for December 2017: France!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Rahsaan..bet that was a great visit with Tim!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 am

2015 Montclair Picpoul I just picked up downtown...note further back.
This Chrismas opened the 2015 Costieres de Pomeroles Picpoul but was rather sweet, low in acid and not really up to par.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm

New Year's Eve just fell into the France WF, so here goes. Three out of four wines were French but I include the port for completeness sake and because it was delicious :D .

NV Ruinart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (12/31/2017)
Nothing to add to my TN of three years ago about this delightful and elegant medium/light bodied BdB.

2016 Domaine Vocoret et Fils Chablis 1er Cru Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (12/31/2017)
An invigorating young medium - bodied Chablis with attractive mainly citrus fruit, stony minerals, a steely touch, underlying roundness, moreish acidity and gentle backbone. Paired beautifully with cold Breton lobster. Very good.

1996 Coche-Dury Meursault - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (12/31/2017)
This bottle continues down the same path as one opened nearly two years ago. Cedar notes have become so dominant, particularly on the nose, that I might have mistaken it for a white Rioja but for its still crisp acidity and strong minerality. Quite complex and medium/full bodied, it was popular round the table but I think that much of the fruit has faded resulting in less good balance that at its peak. Not so good with lobster as the young Chablis but came into it's own with goat cheese with which the cedar notes receded. No trace of premox!! Just about very good now.

2000 Niepoort Porto Colheita - Portugal, Douro, Porto (12/31/2017)
Lovely tawny style port. As usual from this house, it combined seamless elegance with a warm undertow and good length supported by gentle grip. Great with Stilton cheese and a chocolate based dessert. Very good.
Posted from CellarTracker

Our daughter and son-in-law left at about 11.15, fearing lurking gendarmes with drink/driving balloons. And we went to bed thus ducking the question of which champagne to serve to see in New Year.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: 2016 Thivin and 2015 Fourrier

by Rahsaan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 am

Rahsaan wrote:2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly
I heard from several sources that this was showing well but it was just too raw primary grapey for me. Sure the materials were all there. Ripe dark juicy fruit and a fresh crisp structure that hints at lacy elegance. Checks lots of boxes. Except for the exciting inspirational one. Because the raw primary-ness was a bit dull. Will wait on other bottles.

Another bottle this weekend was still raw primary and grapey, but it showed enough seamlessness and elegance to provide pleasure, especially during the meal.

But still, while I probably won't be loading up on this, (can't fight every battle), for those who do I am sure it has more and more pleasure to give.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Thivin might need some hunting down up here Rahsaan.
Here is a Cab Franc for all the Loire fans here on this forum.

2012 Domaine de Rochville Saumur La Dame.

Cellared a couple of years. Very light color but packs a good punch on the palate over 2 days. This domaine seems to be known for its Chenin Blanc. Typical CF flavors with some bell pepper, black fruits, pepper, good acidity and a nice length.
Previous