The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

FOrlorn Hope and Laurel Glen (And Madonna Estate)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

FOrlorn Hope and Laurel Glen (And Madonna Estate)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Some weekend wines:

Forlorn Hope: My first wine club shipment from the Outlands cooperative tasting room project in Downtown Napa included a Verdelho from Forlorn Hope! By no means a profound wine, the clean apple flavors were underlain by a savory core that made it a perfect accompaniment to our salads!

With dinner: 2006 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma Mountain/Glen Ellen). This WAS a profound cabernet. Rich in anise flavors, still plenty of tannins, beautiful acidity. Unlike some here, I cannot give up on cabernet, and it is wines like this that explain why. We also opened a 2015 Counterpoint, the early drinking version of the estate cab, and it was not as smooth or elegant but it still showed lovely cabbiness!

At the winery: 2009 Madonna Estate Reserve Pinot Noir. This historic winery just nails this Pinot! No annoying cherry fruit Carneros character per se. Instead, earth, funk, dark fruit. I loved the previous vintage.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

F-H...

by TomHill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Some weekend wines:
Forlorn Hope: My first wine club shipment from the Outlands cooperative tasting room project in Downtown Napa included a Verdelho from Forlorn Hope! By no means a profound wine, the clean apple flavors were underlain by a savory core that made it a perfect accompaniment to our salads!

I assume this was the '15, Brian?? Don't see that I got the '16 yet. Or, just maybe, you're a special customer,
even more special than TomHill, and have the '16. :roll:

I had the '15 when it first showed up and it was a very bizarre wine. Showed lots of dissolved CO2. Tasted it
again when Matt was here in LosAlamos for a winemaker dinner:
Tom Jan 2017 wrote:1. Forlorn-Hope Que Saudade Verdelho Calif (12.73%; 367 cs) 2015: Light yellow color; lots of bubbles that rapidly
dissapate; very attractive floral/pineapple/appley slight honeyed very attractive nose; fairly tart appley/
pineapple/floral light mineral/stoney honeyed flavor; long appley/pineapple/floral light stony bit honeyed finish;
no signs of CO2 on the palate nor in the glass; much better than the one over a month ago; quite a nice/
pleasant-drinking white.

Matt's whites are often/usually quite pleasant wines upon release. But they have an uncanny knack of putting on weight w/ a few
yrs of btl age and becomming quite interesting.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: FOrlorn Hope and Laurel Glen (And Madonna Estate)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

I actually have the invoice in front of me. It was the 14!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach