The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 31 year old Kendall Jackson

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 31 year old Kendall Jackson

by Jenise » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:38 am

A friend, Jim, inherited the wine collection of his father. The dad, a doctor, used to make annual pilgrimages to Napa Valley and come home with his Caddy loaded to the gills. He'd then offload the wines into the cold subterranean root cellar of his Kelso, Washington, home. He died quite some time ago and Jim would bring back a few bottles whenever he visited his mom, but she recently passed and the remaining collection has now moved to Jim's home. Jim enjoys wine but isn't a geek who would prefer a Heitz Martha's or a Silver Oak, both of which we've had from Dad's collection, to a Kendall Jackson, they're all just 'Dad's wine' and equally treasured on that basis--as they should be. Anyway, every time we invite him to dinner he brings something interesting. Some have been better wines than last night's but never has any been more attractively dusty.

That dust, btw, is in large part Mt. St. Helens ash; Kelso is fairly close to the mountain, or what remains of it.

OldKJ.JPG

It's a 1986. The cork was in excellent shape--fresh color and unstained but at the tip, such that though we removed it with a Durand it probably would have slipped out with a simple Ah-So. Minimal sediment. Of course it's all tertiary now, but in a fairly grand way for a wine that wasn't held in high esteem even in '86. Decent fruit, nice oak spice, and a bit of coconut (American oak, I'm sure). Best part was the long aftertaste. Fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 31 year old Kendall Jackson

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 am

Neat story.

The wine will always have the last word.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 am

That is a good tale.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am

Jenise, you have not told us what varietal the wine is. I am guessing a Cabernet Sauvignon.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm

variety...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Oops, yeah, it's a cabernet. Just the plain Vintners Reserve vs. the more 'exclusive', if anything about KJ's naming process can be applied to this, Proprietor's Reserve.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for sharing. I love tasting older Napa cabs. I am assuming that bottle was under $10?

Did Jed Steele make that wine?

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I am fairly certain Jed Steele would have been the winemaker at that time.