The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

St Laurent! and Cigare Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

St Laurent! and Cigare Blanc

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am

On Sunday, my friends and I enjoyed the Jon E Vino St Laurent (Carneros-Ricci Vineyard) I mentioned briefly in August. Joe roasted a chicken with his usual mix of herbs and spices.

I enjoyed the wine at the tasting event, but with the chicken, it was even better. There is some of the "natural wine" character I referred to with the Forlorn Hope wine (this StL clocks in at 11%), with a lovely cranberry-plum fruit base. Not all that earthy, more about the fruit, but not in an overripe way at all. Absolutely stunning with the chicken!

Definitely some "Pinot-esque" character here, but what really stood out was the mouthfeel. This is one amazingly silky wine. Not flat, not lacking in acidity, not lacking in freshness. Still...silky, almost slinky. This is one hella delicious wine! Happily, Back Room Wines appears to have more!

Not to ignore the lovely 2014 Le Cigare Volant Blanc. Beautiful savory, almost saline character that, even though we had moved on to the red, the last sips went amazingly well with the roasted root vegetables.

Good wine weekend! On SATURDAY, we visited Copain. I know we badly need rain, but I can't think of a better place to spend a couple of hours on a sunny December afternoon than Copain's little hillside cliff overlooking the Russian River Valley. And the wines are outstanding as always. When we ended the day at Corison, that was a great wine day!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: St Laurent! and Cigare Blanc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 pm

St. Laurent seems more like Gamay (and Zweigelt is really like Gamay) to me, but it is fun wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: St Laurent! and Cigare Blanc

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:St. Laurent seems more like Gamay (and Zweigelt is really like Gamay) to me, but it is fun wine.

I can see that comparison, David.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach