The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Soaves, Burgs, Etna, and Bandol rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Soaves, Burgs, Etna, and Bandol rose

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm

n unexpectedly social week, a former neighbor was in town and we hosted a small dinner party with other neighbors, and then had Betsy’s sister join us next night.

Cooking wine was 2015 Anselmi San Vincenzo . This almost Soave had nice melon and lemon flavors, a touch of straw and nuts, just a little rounder than I’d like but good value. B-

With seafood risotto, kale/feta salad,
2014 Adalia Soave
Light, nutty/almondy, touch of grass, bright. B/B-

2014 Terre Nere Etna Rosso
Base bottling. Crisp red fruits, bright, fresh. Gets herby with air. Nice value B+

I shucked some oysters
2014 Barat Mont de Milieu Chablis 1er (375)
Crisp, saline, good value. B

I picked up some black garlic, used with a lot of assorted mushrooms to make a pasta sauce, along with a greens/avocado salad

2015 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne

Cherries, cranberries and smoke, good acids, touch of tannin. Good but could use a little cellar time. B

Rose in winter? Sure, with chicken bouillabaisse (aka Provencal chicken)
2016 La Bastide Blanche Bandol rose is a bunch of strawberries with herbs on top. Fun and fresh. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consisten
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Soaves, Burgs, Etna, and Bandol rose

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Your note on the Hudelot-Noellat matches my thoughts on a different '15 Bourgogne we ordered in a wine bar the other night, a Gerard Raphet from Morey St. Denis. Very promising, but not there yet. I thought a young '15 would be more open.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Your note on the Hudelot-Noellat matches my thoughts on a different '15 Bourgogne we ordered in a wine bar the other night, a Gerard Raphet from Morey St. Denis. Very promising, but not there yet. I thought a young '15 would be more open.

Tom Blach used to always say the Bourgognes needed even more time than higher appellations. British palate perhaps. But still, nothing is easy in Burgundy!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Tom Blach used to always say the Bourgognes needed even more time than higher appellations. British palate perhaps. But still, nothing is easy in Burgundy!

I'm not familiar with Tom Blach or that sentiment, but I'll start paying attention. I often don't warm up to young Bourgognes and this may be why--I've tended to think the problem is more that I'm too used to young New World pinots. It could be both.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Tom Blach used to always say the Bourgognes needed even more time than higher appellations. British palate perhaps. But still, nothing is easy in Burgundy!

I'm not familiar with Tom Blach or that sentiment, but I'll start paying attention..

Participant on ebob- and then Berserkers- with a very keen palate. Couldn't remember if he had ever been on here
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 pm

As usual Rahsaan brings up a good point. Tom is a regular on the UK wine forum and very well respected.