The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: RB Bdx on snowy nite, + Germans, 89 L d'Or, more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: RB Bdx on snowy nite, + Germans, 89 L d'Or, more

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Patrick was in town and Ramon proposed a dinner based on traditionally styled Right Bank wines. A good group was rounded up, but it’s hard to find a restaurant in NYC for a December Saturday that has a good corkage deal. So I offered to host in Westchester. And that’s when it snowed. But the intrepid group all made it, and we were able to sample a lot of wines. While we hosted, others generously brought salmon, bread, and cheeses, which we sampled as introductions were made before we settled down. I didn’t take notes during the night, just wrote down grades as end.

Edited to add that everyone was great dealing with a very rambunctious Basset!

NV Doyard Champagne “Cuvee Vendemiaire Premier Cru” Brut
Blanc de Blancs, some age to it (auction purchase), full but a little sweet for me. B

2010 Yann Alexander Blanc de Blancs Champagne
Crisp, young, high acid, needs time. B

Before I had run to train for pickup I had put 2 whites in decanters to serve blind. This bottle of 1986 Ponsot “Clos des Monts Luisants” Morey St. Denis Vieilles Vignes was a bit darker than one last month when first poured, but by time we returned it was really dark, and clearly oxidized. I thought about grabbing another but we had so many wines.,,,

On the second blind wine John got white Bordeaux immediately, the 2010 Aile d’Argent (white wine from Mouton-Rothschild) had honeydew and grapefruit, some slightly honied notes, tasty but needs a little more zip. B/B-

Jay brought the 1989 Luneau-Papin “L d’Or” Muscadet, and a stellar showing as usual. Good acids but without any edge, wet rocks topped with lemon zest and oystershell. A-/A

Then to table. I grilled some quail and trumpet mushrooms, served over lentils. Then later roast lamb, individual potato gratins, and Shanghai/bokchoy with oyster sauce

We had 2 blind off theme reds to start.
Jayson’s wine- I wasn’t sure this was Bordeaux at first, it had a herb and pepper note that made me wonder if was like a classic 70s/early 80s Napa. But no, Bordeaux, the tobacco notes should have tipped me off. 1985 La Lagune A-/B+

JC’s wine- riper, more tobacco, earth, midbodied. I think Jason got producer. 1989 Beychevelle B+

After that, no blinds.

1990 Ch. Magdelaine- young, full, ripe and delicious. Even better when tasted at end of night. B+/A-

1990 Ch Canon - structured, but mature tasting on palate, smoke and mushrooms. B

1986 Certan de May

Still some tannin, black plum and espresso, elegant for ‘86. A-

1985 L’Eglise Clinet
Ripe, soft finish, tasty. B

1985 Ch Canon
Fresh, elegant, long. A-

1982 La Dominique
Black fruit, cigarbox, tasty. B+

1982 Ch. Magdelaine
Black cherry, plum, cocoa, and cedar. Lovely and lush but with bright acids, just lovely. A-/A

1982 Ch Canon
Redder fruits, floral, a little leather. A-

1982 Ch. Pavie
Popped and poured. Gentle black fruits, tobacco, not as long as some others but fun. B

1981 L’Evangile
Elegant, lush texture, balanced. A-/A

1970 Ch. Magdelaine

Cedar/cigarbox, red fruits, herby, smoky, long. A-/A

1970 Ch. Figeac
Herby, complex. A-/B+

1966 Ch Fonplegade
Apparently next to Magdelaine. I’d only tasted the (overmodern) 05 before. This was a classy old lady, black plum,herb, and earth. B

1966 Ch. Magdelaine
another bottle from same lot was delicious recently, but this had a definite madeira note. C

1962 Ch. Pavie
Still holding on, but heading towards generic old red. B-/C+

Jay had brought some tarts (lemon and coconut I believe), and we had some wines with sugar.

1990 Lafaurie-Peyraugey
Quite dark, apricot, lots of botrytis, a little soft. B

2001 JJ Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese
For a toast/tribute to John Dawson. Zingy/zippy acids, green apple and grapefruit zest, honeycomb, long finish. A-

1994 Muller-Catoir Mussbacher Eselshaut Rieslaner Trockenbeerenauslese
Tons of botrytis, red and white fruits, good finish but a little simple. Ready. B/B+

2001 Muller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Schlossel Rieslaner Auslese
Those 01 acids strike again, lovely and complex, I double check to make sure not Riesling. A-

OK, a longer night than anticipated, and more snow, but awful lot of fun. Lots of classic wine.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: RB Bdx on snowy nite, + Germans, 89 L d'Or, more

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Wow!

Ah Catoir! HGS Catoir!!
Decisions are made by those who show up