The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

831

Joined

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Location

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Patchen Markell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 am

Unti Vineyards 2015 Dry Creek Valley Verdicchio. Rich melon and flowers balanced by enough acid and minerality to keep it focused, with a gentle touch of soft wood. Animated, energetic, full-flavored, and seems bigger-boned than I remember the previous bottle being— which isn’t a criticism.

Emrich-Schönleber 2015 Nahe Riesling Kabinett, Monziger. Big for a Kab, broad and deep stone fruit flavors with solid acidity, more chunky (at this stage?) than precisely filigreed, but very tasty nonetheless. Haven’t had this producer before, I think my Nahe experience may be limited to Dönnhoff.
cheers, Patchen
User avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Posts

9987

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Lucky to have a nice E-S selection from the Nahe downtown but prices are creeping up.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Posts

7961

Joined

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Location

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Unti Vineyards 2015 Dry Creek Valley Verdicchio. Rich melon and flowers balanced by enough acid and minerality to keep it focused, with a gentle touch of soft wood. Animated, energetic, full-flavored, and seems bigger-boned than I remember the previous bottle being— which isn’t a criticism..


Wow, good for them for working with verdicchio. I could see this being fun. I remember visiting Unti maybe 10-15 years ago and finding the wines promising for my palate, but still a bit too ripe CA. So wouldn't have expected them to roll with this grape!
User avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

908

Joined

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Location

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by ChaimShraga » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 am

I love Emich-Schonleber, but as I just wrote on another thread, I had a falling out with the importer.

Maybe my New Year's resolution should be not to quarrel with importers, although the business case for picking fights with customers baffles me.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

831

Joined

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Location

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Patchen Markell » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:I had a falling out with the importer.


Ah, yes, the pleasures of being ITB. Sorry to hear it...

Rahsaan wrote:Wow, good for them for working with verdicchio. I could see this being fun. I remember visiting Unti maybe 10-15 years ago and finding the wines promising for my palate, but still a bit too ripe CA. So wouldn't have expected them to roll with this grape!


I think the story is that it's George Unti's favorite Italian white wine, so he insisted on planting some. I drank a lot of Unti from the late 90s to early 00s, then stopped ordering for several years, then started again around 2012. My impression now: the ZInfandel and Italian varieties tend to be brighter and more energetic; the Rhônes feel too heavy for my palate. And, unsusprisingly, I often prefer the simple quaffers to the things designed for aging, as the latter tend to have more wood -- I like the "Segromigno," a Montepulciano/Sangiovese blend, quite a lot, for example. Still might not be your thing, but for me it fills a niche very well.
cheers, Patchen
User avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Posts

27082

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Maybe it’s my Dönnhoff fixation, but Schönleber has never really grabbed me.
Democracy dies in the darkness
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

885

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

Location

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Steve Edmunds » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Rahsaan; the Unti family hails from the Marche, so they found a way (wink, wink) to get some Verdicchio in the ground. They have been dialing back some of the ripeness for a few years, especially with the whites. It should be interesting to see how the wines are when the vines are a few years along.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Posts

7961

Joined

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Location

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Rahsaan; the Unti family hails from the Marche, so they found a way (wink, wink) to get some Verdicchio in the ground. They have been dialing back some of the ripeness for a few years, especially with the whites. It should be interesting to see how the wines are when the vines are a few years along.


Sounds great. Will keep an eye out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign