The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: in which Jenise loves red Pinot Meunier, too

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: in which Jenise loves red Pinot Meunier, too

by Jenise » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 pm

So I recently declared my love for pinot meunier based sparkling wines, and in that thread this grape vinified as a still red wine was mentioned and I couldn't remember but one or two I've ever had long, long ago. So last night I went into the cellar to find a lighter red and reached for a Teutonic Pinot Noir from Oregon, only it wasn't a Pinot Noir it was a Pinot Meunier which I don't even remember knowing I had (I'm in the club, so they send me things). Well how timely is that, I thought. And I opened it.

2014 Teutonic Wine Company Pinot Meunier Borgo Pass Vineyard Willamette Valley
This wine was so gosh-darned perfect, it practically made me cry. Beautiful clear ruby color, cherry-berry fruits with other-worldly notes of spice cake, clove and dried orange peel spotlit with perfectly poised acidity that's somehow also silky on the palate--you have to wonder why there's so little of this vinified as red wine. Not lean, not lush, but luscious. It was absolutely incredible. I threw 95 points at it on CellarTracker as a token of my esteem. I honestly can't imagine anyone could do more with this grape than winemaker Barnaby Tuttle managed here, and if y'all could taste what we tasted last night I'm certain you'd be as amazed and impressed as we were.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: in which Jenise loves red Pinot Meunier, too

by Patchen Markell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Sounds great! I think I see Teutonic around here, but this is probably too small-production to make it into the national market. Still, thanks for the transporting note...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes, just about everything he does is pretty small production. And then you have the retailer mindset "But it won't sell because nobody knows what it is". In combination, would be hard to find and the '14 vintage would be gone now anyway. But still, WOW.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm grinning just reading you write about it!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 am

Don't cry, Jenise...
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Awww... this makes me tear up a little bit for a sadder reason. The owner of a classic wine shop/wine bar in Davis (VIni), used to bring in really unique wines. Jeff was not really a wine geek by any means, but for some reason, he brought in some Teutonic wines.

I still miss Jeff. R.I.P. The local wine bar scene has never been the same.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach