The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question about DOC Garda

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jorn Levi

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 am

Question about DOC Garda

by Jorn Levi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 am

I was wondering if anyone had information on wine from the Garda region in Italy. Garda to me automatically translates into Lake Garda and tourists, but a friend told me this is also a wine making region.
I have seen that there are wines available from the region here, so I will obviously try it, but wanted to check if anyone here some experiance with the region and the wine.
Did a google but came up with mostly italian web sites.

Appreciate any input you may have on this.

Jørn
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Question about DOC Garda

by Bob Ross » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am

Here's a little from Jancis Robinson's Oxford Second:

Other DOCs include Lugana, whose Trebbiano-based white wines are produced to the south of Lake Garda. Botticino and Cellatica are red blends (the former[in Lombardy] with a slight suggestion of sweetness) from Schiava, Barbera, and Marzemino grapes grown in the province of Brescia and served with the local versions of pot-au-feu or wine-laced stews. Riviera del Garda are light red and rosé wines produced on the western shore of Lake Garda in the image of Bardolino across the lake as it were, although the grapes (Groppello, Sangiovese, Barbera, and Marzemino) could not be more different. [I'm sure the third edition has more info, but I've lent out my copy.]

Italian Made has some good information as well.

Welcome to WLDG.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 pm

The Garda D.O.C was established in 1996. It included the provinces of Mantua and Brescia in Lombardy and parts of Verona in the Veneto.

The Garda D.O.C. allows producers to concentrate on grapevines that they believe best thrive in their vineyards. They have available to them about 18 grape varieties, from Riesling to Chardonnay to Sangiovese to Barbera, and many points in between.

My only experience with their reds was of medium body, solid acidity, at above $15 (can't remember how much above) a little over priced for me. But that was one experience at a tasting in a wine shop.

I am overly partial to Lugana whites. Great stuff.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Thomas,

I quite agree about Lugana, entirely under-rated. I prefer it to Soave, which is much better known; Trebbiano di Lugana may be the same as Trebbiano di Soave, which is now known to be Verdicchio, which may explain the lively nature of Lugana.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Jorn Levi

Rank

Cellar rat

by Jorn Levi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:53 pm

Thank you very much for the information.
I will check out the rescources you have mentioned.

There are a couple of red alternatives that I can find here. I will try them out and get some tasting notes posted.

Rgds,

Jørn
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Jorn

Are you going to Garda?

I was there in Sirminione on the southern edge of the lake last summer. That is the wine area of Lugano where they make a white wine with its own DC - Bianco di Custoza. There seems to be a profusion of small DCs there that don't seem to travel much further than the surrounding area.

Of course, the town of Bardolino is on the banks of Garda, visible from Sirmione, and their wines have had some international success. We took the opportunity to drink as many wines unknown to us while we were there and found some superb ones and none that we did not enjoy.

I posted some tasting notes here, and there is some useful information in the threads - heres the links

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... highlight=

no avatar
User

Jorn Levi

Rank

Cellar rat

by Jorn Levi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the input and the TN's.
I am not going there unfortunately, but just came across the region by accident through a friend. Always interested in checking out "unknown"(to me anyway) regions.
I have seen a couple of reds available here from the region, so I will definately try them.

Best regards,

Jørn