The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: OrsiFamily Nebbiolo DryCreekVlly '14...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: OrsiFamily Nebbiolo DryCreekVlly '14...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Got my two cases in from Orsi last week and couldn't wait to try the Nebb:
1. OrsiFamily Nebbiolo DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (13.8%; #170 of 276; www.OrsiFamilyVineyards.com) HardwoodCllrs/Healdsburg 2014: Fairly dark color; strong rather tarry/pungent/earthy/loamy some smokey slight lilacs/Nebb nose; quite tart/hard/tannic rather pungent/tarry/earthy/loamy somewhat rustic very slight lilacs/floral/Nebb flavor w/ ample hard/rough tannins; very long tart/hard/rough/tannic strong pungent/tarry/earthy/rustic finish w/ ample hard/rough tannins; a rather hard/rough Nebb that resembles some from the Roero or Valtelline; speaks mostly of the pungent/tarry side of Nebb and not a lot of the perfumey/floral Nebb side; badly needs much age. $36.00
1. I stumbled upon OrsiFamily a few weeks ago when I was researching JohnHoldredge's Schioppettino, which came from Orsi vnyd. Whatta find....all sorts of Italian varieties that very much interest me. Promptly ordered a mixed two cases of everything. Winemaker is Dick Schultz of HardwoodCllrs.
I think this Nebb would show well at our NEB gatherings.
Especially one w/ a bit of age...if they have one. It leans towards the pungent/tarry side of Nebbiolo, where most Calif Nebbs lean towards the floral/perfumey aspect. Actually, it resembles some of the WashState Nebbs more than anything.
Tom