The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A surprising Costco value

by Jenise » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm

2015 Kirkland Signature Malbec Mendoza
Encountered last week at an open house, and it was the most interesting red wine there. Of course, the other options weren't collector stuff, and Apothic was well represented, but still. More savory and less floral than most Argentine malbecs in a very good way, with notes of coffee, tar, roses and a lavish dose of white pepper. Pinot Noir-ish body with bright acidity--a great example of when lighter is better. Blind, would have guessed Languedoc. A wine I could drink all night--oh wait, I did! Suspect the price to be around $8-10 (CT showed $7, but I'm not sure any Costco wine is just $7).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A surprising Costco value

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Interesting.

I like lighter Argentine Malbecs. I just rarely find them outside of Argentina.
Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government.
- Justice Hugo Black
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

I have found a couple of very surprising Kirkland branded wines in Costco. There was a Gigondas recently for $15 that was quite good. The most ridiculous value was a very nice Chianti Classico for $8. Apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed. When I went back to get some more it was gone, and I haven't seen it since. They've got somebody picking these things who knows what they're doing.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 pm

When the Kirkland brand first appeared here, two were brought in, a Paulliac and a Margaux. I bought one of each, found the Paulliac wan and dull but the Margaux was exciting, a rich and complex real deal Bordeaux. Went back within days to find the Margaux all gone. Since then I've just tried a few things at other people's houses--a good traditional Champagne with toasty brioche flavors, a merely 'eh' New Zealand Sauv Blanc, but none that I would personally recommend until this one. Someone did recommend to me a Stags Leap area cabernet a few months back but it sold out instantly, so that must have been a good one! Seems to be a "you have to kiss a lot of frogs" situation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:51 pm

A few wines of note from Costco. 2014 Ravenswood Barricia single-vineyard for $18. A couple notes on Cellartracker saying it is simple and hot, but I bought some anyway. 2016 Weill Rheingau "Tradition" QbA for the same price.
Walter Nissen
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 pm

To follow up, I tried the Weil last night and it was fantastic. 10.5% alcohol, halfway between "medium dry" and "medium sweet" on the back label, so I guess just "medium", like a burger. I'd say it was halbtrocken, legally Spaetlese, floral, citrus, and mineral, precise balance, excellent acidity. Back up the trocken!
Walter Nissen
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 am

Walt, thanks for the tips. Btw, looked for the Ravenswood--it didn't make it to my neck of the woods. :(
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Encountered at a party last night: 2015 Kirkland Bordeaux Superior. Wan, watery. PASS.
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Encountered at a party last night: 2015 Kirkland Bordeaux Superior. Wan, watery. PASS.

Sorry, I had that one and also found it mediocre. They also had a Paulliac but I didn't try it.
Walter Nissen
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Sure have to kiss a lot of frogs, don't you?