The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A surprising Costco value

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A surprising Costco value

by Jenise » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:32 pm

2015 Kirkland Signature Malbec Mendoza
Encountered last week at an open house, and it was the most interesting red wine there. Of course, the other options weren't collector stuff, and Apothic was well represented, but still. More savory and less floral than most Argentine malbecs in a very good way, with notes of coffee, tar, roses and a lavish dose of white pepper. Pinot Noir-ish body with bright acidity--a great example of when lighter is better. Blind, would have guessed Languedoc. A wine I could drink all night--oh wait, I did! Suspect the price to be around $8-10 (CT showed $7, but I'm not sure any Costco wine is just $7).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A surprising Costco value

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Interesting.

I like lighter Argentine Malbecs. I just rarely find them outside of Argentina.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 pm

I have found a couple of very surprising Kirkland branded wines in Costco. There was a Gigondas recently for $15 that was quite good. The most ridiculous value was a very nice Chianti Classico for $8. Apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed. When I went back to get some more it was gone, and I haven't seen it since. They've got somebody picking these things who knows what they're doing.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

When the Kirkland brand first appeared here, two were brought in, a Paulliac and a Margaux. I bought one of each, found the Paulliac wan and dull but the Margaux was exciting, a rich and complex real deal Bordeaux. Went back within days to find the Margaux all gone. Since then I've just tried a few things at other people's houses--a good traditional Champagne with toasty brioche flavors, a merely 'eh' New Zealand Sauv Blanc, but none that I would personally recommend until this one. Someone did recommend to me a Stags Leap area cabernet a few months back but it sold out instantly, so that must have been a good one! Seems to be a "you have to kiss a lot of frogs" situation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:51 pm

A few wines of note from Costco. 2014 Ravenswood Barricia single-vineyard for $18. A couple notes on Cellartracker saying it is simple and hot, but I bought some anyway. 2016 Weill Rheingau "Tradition" QbA for the same price.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 pm

To follow up, I tried the Weil last night and it was fantastic. 10.5% alcohol, halfway between "medium dry" and "medium sweet" on the back label, so I guess just "medium", like a burger. I'd say it was halbtrocken, legally Spaetlese, floral, citrus, and mineral, precise balance, excellent acidity. Back up the trocken!
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:07 am

Walt, thanks for the tips. Btw, looked for the Ravenswood--it didn't make it to my neck of the woods. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Encountered at a party last night: 2015 Kirkland Bordeaux Superior. Wan, watery. PASS.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Encountered at a party last night: 2015 Kirkland Bordeaux Superior. Wan, watery. PASS.

Sorry, I had that one and also found it mediocre. They also had a Paulliac but I didn't try it.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Sure have to kiss a lot of frogs, don't you?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm

The Livermore Costco had Ravenswood Old Hill single-vineyard zinfandel for $25. That's about half the price at the winery. Bought three bottles, haven't tried it yet.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:15 am

These may not show up outside of Washington, but Costco currently has The Walls 2015 'Stanley Groovy' for $20. I own a bottle, which I paid $39 for early last year, after tasting it at a Winemaker dinner featuring The Walls winery. "The Walls" is localese Walla Walla for the state penitentiary located nearby, and the wines are playfully named for various things having to do with that prison, like 'Concrete Mama'. Who Stanley Groovy was I have no idea, but the wine is 55% Touriga Nationale and the remaining bits are Tempranillo, counoise and several other things I forget now. It's gorgeously spicy and was my favorite at that dinner.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:47 am

It would be interesting to see a map of which Costco wine buyers cover which stores, because I'm sure I've never seen a WA state wine, except for the one time they had Quilceda Creek.

The Old Hill was as good as expected, fruit and tannin and length all in balance, even at 14.5%. Sadly, my allergies hit like a ton of bricks the next day, so it's cheap wine for the next six weeks at least.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I saw a whimsical concept for a wine advent calendar that I was sorely tempted by. However, I'm trying not to buy much wine in the run-up to the end of the year. It was a 375 mL bottle of wine every day of Advent. (I never noticed that congruity, that's a standard 9L case.) The wines were from a decent range of countries, France, Chile, Spain. All imported by the same company, Blue something from both California and Wisconsin. I had never heard of any of the brands. Still, for those of us who crave variety and are willing to take a chance on a cheap wine, it's a fun idea. $100.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 am

Kirkland booze in general is a good value. With wine I stick to the 750s as the 1,5s are pretty much Woodbridge quality. If you are having a crowd of people who are less sophisticated and snobby as most of us, than the Kirkland wines and hard liquors are a good value.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.