The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Day Zin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Day Zin

by Patchen Markell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm

It's been a hell of a week.

It began with a drive up to a tile store in Skokie to buy a bunch of travertine. It turns out that when you put 630 lbs. of travertine and two adults in a Honda Fit, you're about 200 lbs. over the load limit for the car, so Andrea drove the tile home while I took a Lyft. The week ended with me chasing a last-minute FedEx delivery of shower parts around Chicago in a lake-effect snowstorm, to no avail. ("When it absolutely, positively has to get there overnight," my ass.) I won't even get into all the stuff that went off the rails at work.

So it was nice to sit down for dinner with a bottle of Day 2015 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel, Grist Vineyard. This is Ehren Jordan's new Zin label, and although I thought I'd had one of the 2014 Grists before, this might actually be the first single-vineyard I've opened. It's biggish (15.2%) but not hot or sweet. Surprisingly bright-red fruit, more raspberry than blackberry, sunny but also dark and intense. Lots of verticality for such a broad wine, if you know what I mean. Shows its youth on the finish, with a little bit of rough wood spice and tannin.

Now back to trying to figure out the mysteries of pipe thread.
cheers, Patchen