The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Eww. EWW. Aaah.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Eww. EWW. Aaah.

by Patchen Markell » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Out for dinner to celebrate the conclusion of the Shower Project from Heck, Andrea's meal really called for a biggish white, and mine could handle that too, so we went with a DeLille 2014 Yakima Valley White Wine, Chaleur Estate, a white Bordeaux blend. First bottle was very lightly corked and also swamped by something VA and/or acetate-like, yuck. Second bottle: no VA or acetate but horribly corked. On reflection, I think that may be the only time in my life I've had to reject two bottles in a row. They were surprised too, and said that while they had more of the DeLille, perhaps it'd be best to try something else. We agreed and went with a Domaine Weinbach 2015 Alsace Pinot Gris, Cuvée Ste. Catherine. Big, rich, ripe, slightly oily, and spicy, with at best moderate acidity. Early in the bottle, the finish is focused and complexly vegetal; it becomes a little broader and less interesting with time, but it's never less than quite good. I think I'd probably prefer this from a leaner vintage, and in any case PG has never been a huge favorite, but it was a nice change of pace.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Eww. EWW. Aaah.

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Big, rich and oily: why I rarely buy Alsatian Pinot Gris
Decisions are made by those who show up