The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Antinori Pèppoli Chianti 2014 Review

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Georgetown, ON

Antinori Pèppoli Chianti 2014 Review

by Tristan B » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 am

A very interesting wine this one. I had it at a restaurant and had to find it so I could truly extract the goodness. The nose is full of vanilla and cherries. Very fruity and rejuvenating. The palate, fresh and lively with currants, cherries and plums. The finish was slightly dry, yet very refreshing, going down very smoothly. This wine is something I would definitely recommend.

Anyone else had this wine?

Tonight, the forecast is cloudy with a 99% chance of wine
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Antinori Pèppoli Chianti 2014 Review

by Ryan M » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 am

Haven't had the Peppoli in ages, but that seems consistent with the style I vaguely remember.

Wanted to tell you, since you are a newbie and said that you are looking for guidance, that this is well written tasting note that nicely conveys the experience of drinking the wine.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Haha thank you! I went though some of the reviews on this page and tried to get a feel of how I should explain it. I am very much liking this forum. So much knowledge in a little corner of the internet.

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:15 am

Yes, haven't seen the Peppoli in my market in a while, but that sounds a lot like the versions from the aughts. Think a fair amount of Merlot in there (though obviously mostly Sangiovese) Nice note
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Yes, haven't seen the Peppoli in my market in a while, but that sounds a lot like the versions from the aughts. Think a fair amount of Merlot in there (though obviously mostly Sangiovese) Nice note

Right you are, this one is Sangiovese.

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Peppoli has always been a reliable wine, almost always quite pleasant and also ageworthy over the mid term.

If you are interested in Chianti, you might also look at trying Antinori's more expensive Villa Antinori. There are a ton of good Chiantis out there - I usually pick up 6 or 8 whenever a new vintage comes out and then 'work' through them over a week or two, or get together with like minded friends, so I can decide which ones I think are ageworthy so I can pick up a few bottles.

FWIW, I think the 2015 (now coming out in many markets) is even a bit better than the 2014. You might want to pick up and hold a 2014 and then when the 2015 comes out, get a bottle of that and taste them against each other and post notes!
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

I might just do that! Thanks for the tip!

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 am

Tristan B wrote: Right you are, this one is Sangiovese.

You can safely assume that any wine labeled Chianti is at least around 70% Sangiovese (it's a legally imposed minimum).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Peppoli has always been a reliable wine, almost always quite pleasant and also ageworthy over the mid term.

If you are interested in Chianti, you might also look at trying Antinori's more expensive Villa Antinori. There are a ton of good Chiantis out there - I usually pick up 6 or 8 whenever a new vintage comes out and then 'work' through them over a week or two, or get together with like minded friends, so I can decide which ones I think are ageworthy so I can pick up a few bottles.

FWIW, I think the 2015 (now coming out in many markets) is even a bit better than the 2014. You might want to pick up and hold a 2014 and then when the 2015 comes out, get a bottle of that and taste them against each other and post notes!

Just as a heads up I bought the 2015 version and after I give my opinion on another wine, I will give my opinion on it as opposed tot eh other one.

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 am

Jenise wrote:

You can safely assume that any wine labeled Chianti is at least around 70% Sangiovese (it's a legally imposed minimum).

Yes, I was just saying at least in last decade the Peppoli tended to have a fair (maybe 15%) of Merlot that softened the acids.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Yes, I was just saying at least in last decade the Peppoli tended to have a fair (maybe 15%) of Merlot that softened the acids.

Oh I know, I was just making sure that Tristan understood Chianti's requirement for sangiovese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov