The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good wines (even if not typical)-Burg, Bierzo, Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good wines (even if not typical)-Burg, Bierzo, Chianti

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Brother-in-law is in Vienna for couple weeks, so Bets invited her sister for dinner and made beef stroganoff, one of the dishes of their childhood. With sour cream/creme fraiche a rose works well, but with frigid temps we tried reds.

2015 Jeanne Marie Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
There’s a local shop that features house wines of well known restaurants, and I’m guessing that’s where this came from - back label says by wine director of Tribeca Grill. Very sweet red currant fruit, too sweet for my tastes, but it’s not very alcoholic (13%) , has light tannins, and I could see it as a popular house pour in a restaurant. B-

1990 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro
Bought a small lot of ‘88 and ‘90, thinking I don’t really buy Ruffino but I’ve liked the ‘88, then realized I was thinking of the Monsanto Poggio. But this worked out ok. Don’t think I would have pegged this for Chianti blind, but it’s quite alive. Black plummy fruit, ripe but not roasted, a little leather, drinks more like a mature minor Right Bank Merlot, but tasty. B

Friday I had butcher cut a beautiful double rib Berkshire pork chop, did in sous vide and then Betsy handled the browning. Served with brown rice, broccoli rabe, and the 2015 Michel Guignier Beaujolais. Sappy black cherry, lots of body for a non-cru Beaujolais, with some smoke and herb notes. Fun. B/B+
Saturday was lemon sole , wine was a Godello , the 2014 Ultreia “La Claudina” (Bierzo). Slightly wild nose of flowers and hickory nut, on palate it’s full framed and nicely balanced. Citrus zest and saline/mineral notes. Long finish. Probably best young Spanish white I’ve had in a while. A-

Before I went to bed that night I started 8 local duck legs on the way to confit with the sous vide wand (yes, I’m having fun with it)

Sunday I worked all day (annual meeting) then came home to get ready for a dinner party /doggie playdate. Ruby and Teddy the Beagle had bones, the people started with Fred’s foie gras crostini with red onion chutney and the NV Bremont Cuvee Prestige Champagne. I always like this- pear and apple fruit, baked Parker House rolls, orange peel. Good acids, fine mousse. A-/B+

Annabelle and Mark brought a lovely borscht, which I served with the 2009 Breton “Franc de Pied” Bourgueil (thanks to David for pairing suggestion). Now I can’t taste the rootstock but this is a lovely wine in a lovely place. Vibrant red fruits, some CF green tobacco and herbs notes (but nicely integrated , and not green peppery), earth. A-/B+

Duck confit on salad, mashed root vegetables (turnips, celeriac, potato), and sauteed mushrooms (oyster, pioppini, lions mane, maitake)
1983 Drouhin Corton-Bressandes
This was a bit stinky when opened and a small pour had some browning and sharp edges. But decanted about an hour later this showed really quite well. Red cherries, cocoa, and orange zest with a little gamey note on backend. Good acids, no apparent tannin, no apparent rot. I wouldn’t have thought this was Corton, much more delicate/feminine, more Volnay styled. But quite enjoyable and hope my other bottle (different source) shows as well. B+/A-

2014 Wind Gap Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Red fruit, straightforward, tasty if a bit simple.B

There was a walnut cake that Annabelle had made as well. Good night with good people.
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Good wines (even if not typical)-Burg, Bierzo, Chia

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm

I love the Wind Gap SC Pinot, but I am sure the Drouhin was hard to follow.
Decisions are made by those who show up