The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blanc, Noir, et Brun

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Blanc, Noir, et Brun

by Patchen Markell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 am

Andrea went to the local butcher/charcutier and got, among other things, a couple of boudins blancs. Except that when she brought them home, they were boudins noirs. (They were probably boudins noirs before she brought them home too; you know what I mean.) We've had blood sausages that were too strong for our taste, but the ones from this shop aren't among them, so we rolled with it: Andrea roasted up a bunch of fingerling potatoes and crisped the sliced sausages in a pan, and I dug out a Brun 2002 Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes "L'Ancien," the last of a case. Remarkably, this is still fine and fresh. The usual funk isn't overpowering and behind it there's quite a bit of pure, sweet cherry fruit and earth, with propulsive acid. Age has not altered the wine in radical ways, or brought out surprising hidden dimensions; it's mostly just turned down the overall volume just a little and rounded off the edges, giving it an attractive transparency of flavor. A good match with the boudins, too!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Blanc, Noir, et Brun

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 am

Really surprised that the wine held up that well. I cellar some Brun, but never that one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

I can't *find* any Brun except for this! Well, maybe now I could, but not in Chicago in the early 2000s.

I held a bottle of the 2001 L'Ancien, too, and it had also survived surprisingly well when opened a year ago, though I think this was even better. But there was definitely a lot of variation; within the last couple of years, I opened either an 01 or an 02 that was thin and lifeless, pure stink, which prompted me to figure out what I had left from that period and bring it home. So this was a relief...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

I had my last '05 L'Ancien couple years ago and it had held up nicely (luckily real cork, believe in '05 some saw plastic).
And good for you just flowing with the sausage mixup/.