The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2012 Scherrer OMV Zin!!! & 2008 Westrey Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

2012 Scherrer OMV Zin!!! & 2008 Westrey Pinot Noir

by Jason Hagen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm

2012 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (1/15/2018)
    Wow. This wine is in the zone. Everything is complete and balanced. The aromatics are so enticing. Raspberries, cherries and a little bit of boysenberry syrup. There are also earthy and graphite elements. Medium bodied and medium acidity. Tannins hold it all together. Had over 2 nights. Not much change. Nothing tells me this wine will fade anytime soon but I would say drink now and enjoy what Zin can be. (96 pts.)

2008 Westrey Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/16/2018)
    Getting back to checking on some 08s. I had this over 2 nights and was dramatically better on the first night. It has started to transition but the fruit was still fairly fresh with medium acid and a good amount of tannin. On the second night the wine showed more aged qualities but had gone a bit out of balance. It was my only bottle so it is a non issue for me but I would say either pop and pour or give 2 or 3 more years.

Cheers,

Jason