The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2016 Inniskillin Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2016 Inniskillin Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 pm

This wine initially caught my eye last summer when I spotted it at a Wine Rack store. Baco from Inniskillin? That's a new one. Up to the turn of the millennium, Inniskillin had produced an Old Vines Foch (the very wine that turned me onto red hybrid wines twenty years ago); sadly, production of that wine was discontinued in the early 2000s—a mistake!

This Baco pours with a dense black-cherry colour that fades to medium-deep magenta at the meniscus. The initial aromas are of blue plums with a slight overlay of peppercorns—classic Baco. The entry is very supple with balanced acidity (the mildest of any Baco I've tasted) and a broad warmth from the 13% alc./vol. On the palate, the acidity remains mild but cleansing, as it works its way to the back of the palate. The finish is short and clean.

It's a good Baco that retails on general list at the LCBO now as well (limited availability), for $15.95 CAD.

I still would like to see Inniskillin bring back their Foch!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2016 Inniskillin Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:20 am

I stop at the Winery in NOTL occasionally, but since I'm not a fan of Baco, I don't think I've tried it. Their Gamay and Cab Franc are very reasonably priced and pretty good.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.