The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Five Easton/DTR Wines...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Five Easton/DTR Wines...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Tried these over the weekend:
1. TerreRouge Viognier Estate/Fiddletown (14.5%; www.TerreRougeWines.com) Plymouth 2009: Light gold color; attractive/quiet fresh/pear/peach/Viog rather spicy/cinammon/nutmeg slight valve oil bit complex nose; rather rich/soft fresh/pear/peach/Viog some spicy/nutmeg attractive/subtle some complex flavor; long quiet pear/peach/Viog/spicy finih w/ a trace of bitterness; a quiet/subtle/graceful expression of mature Viog w/ no signs of nutty or oxidation; a quiet/pretty/gentle white at a stupid/silly price. $13.25
2. TerreRouge Enigma SierraFoothills (45% Marsanne/29% Roussanne/26% Viognier; 14.5%) 2010: Med.light gold color; strong spicy/honeysuckle/honeyed bit valve oil/graham cracker/bready somewhat Rhonish/earthy/smokey quite complex nose; lightly tart/appley quite spicy/honeyed/honeysuckle bit smokey/nutmeg/Rhonish/graham cracker rather complex mature Rhone white flavor; very long/lingering spicy/nutmeg/graham cracker some floral/honeysuckle/honeyed slight earthy/mineral quite complex finish; a lovely expression of fully mature whiteRhone w/ no oxidation or nuttiness at a stupid/silly price. $13.35
3. Easton Zin Fiddletown OldVine Rinaldi/EschenVnyd (Plntd: 1865; 14.5%) 2005: Very dark color; strong very spicy/Zin/blackberry/black cherry/ripe/briary rather dusty/OV slight mineral/graphite/pungent beautiful complex nose; lightly tart/tangy/metallic quite dusty/OV very spicy/briary/blackberry/black cherry bit earthy/graphite/mineral rather complex flavor w/ some brisk/tangy tannins; very long/lingering very strong spicy/briary/blackberry/black cherry bit earthy/graphite/pungent quite dusty/OV complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; not at all overripe and quite structured for an Amador Zin; reminds a lot of the Ridge Fiddletown Zin '77, one of the greatest Amador Zins ever made; should go another 5 yrs; stupid/silly price of $15.00
4. TerreRouge Syrah SentinelOakVnyd/PyramidBlock ShenandoahVlly/Calif (14.5%) 2006: Very dark color w/ little bricking; very strong pungent/smokey/Rhonish/roasted strong blackberry/Syrah beautiful mature Calif Syrah/complex nose; rather tart/tangy/bit hard/angular very strong/blackberry/Syrah/briary/Amador/almost Zin-like some roasted/pungent/Rhonish/smokey fairly complex flavor w/ ample hard/rough tannis; very long/lingering rather tart/lean/hard very strong blackberry/briary/Syrah/Amador some roasted/pungent/Rhonish/smokey fairly complex finish w/ ample hard/bitey tannins; still loads of Syrah fruit w/ lots of Rhonish character but pretty hard/austere on the palate; may age well but tannins may never resolve; stupid/silly price of $20.00
5. TerreRouge Syrah JayWildrotterVnyd/ShenandoahVlly/Calif (14.5%) 2009: Very dark color w/ little bricking; very strong smokey/pungent/Rhonish/roasted strong blackberry/Syrah/briary/bit Zin-like some toasty/oak fairly complex/Rhonish nose; somewhat tart strong pungent/Rhonish/roasted/smokey strong blackberry/Syrah/briary/spicy bit licorice some toasty/oak complex flavor w/ modest ripe/tangy tannins; very long/lingering strong pungent/roasted/Rhonish strong briary/blackberry/Syrah slight licorice some toasty/oak complex finish w/ modest ripe/tangy tannins; very much like the SentinelOak but more resolved tannins; a beautiful mature Calif Syrah at a stupid/silly price. $17.50
1. This month, BillEaston had a sale of some of his wine, clearing out inventory I presume. I ordered a mixed case of these wine on a flyer. Some were on the older side, but I was confident that Bill would not offer up anything that was shaky or in suspect condition. I was right. The two whites and the Zin were so good that I ordered up another mixed case. Alas, this special sale, offered only to his mailing list customers ends tonight (Sunday).
Of the two whites, I somewhat preferred the Enigma. Both showed no signs of oxidation or nuttiness or going over the hill. The Viognier will probably just quietly fade into the sunset. The Enigma might just get even better.
Of the two Syrahs, I slightly preferred the Wildrotter because the tannins seemed a bit more resolved.
Did I mention that these sale prices were on the stupid/silly side??
Tom