The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two From Baja...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two From Baja...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Tried these two Fri night w/ Susan:
1. Aliximia Helios Valle de Guadalupe/Baja Calif (13.5%; Grenache vinified as white; www.Alixima.com; www.LMAWines.com) 2015: Med.light yellow color w/ murky cloudiness and some grainy sediment; bit SO2/pungent/matchsticks/dishwater very light grapefruity slight chalky/metallic altogether dull nose; rather soft/sour some earthy/chalky slight grapefruity little fruit rather bland/dull flavor; short soft/sour slight chalky/metallic/tangy no fruit flavor; little fruit or flavor and dull as dishwater. $12.00 (KK)
2. Casa Magoni Manaz Valle de Guadalupe/Baja Calif/Mexico VinoBlanco (80% Viognier/20% Fiano; 13%; www.CasaMagoni.com; www.LaCompetenciaImports.com; L 1 16 050) 2015: Med.light yellow color w/ tiny bubbles; very light pear/Viog slight earthy/stony rather pleasant/low-key/quiet nose; soft/fat light pear/Viog/peach slight spicy/cinammon some stony/earthy pleasant flavor; med. light/quiet/pear/Viog/peach soft/fat light earthy/stony finish; a pleasant enough enough quiet Viog but nothing to write home to Mom about. $12.00 (KK)
The Magoni interested me because it had Fiano in the blend. It reminded me of a Viog from the CentralVlly cropped at 8 tons/acre. Pleasant enough but just that.
Tom
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: WTN: Two From Baja...(short/boring)

by wnissen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:57 pm

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that "grenache noir blanc de noir" was too wordy. I have had a couple decent wines from Baja, sounds like these were not them.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

wnissen wrote:I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that "grenache noir blanc de noir" was too wordy. I have had a couple decent wines from Baja, sounds like these were not them.

Yup, Walt...I've had a couple of decent reds. Mostly I've tried the Nebbiolos and
they were fairly good...but just that. They perhaps should be trying Southern Italian Reds
down there.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Re: Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

TomHill wrote:
wnissen wrote:I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that "grenache noir blanc de noir" was too wordy. I have had a couple decent wines from Baja, sounds like these were not them.

Yup, Walt...I've had a couple of decent reds. Mostly I've tried the Nebbiolos and
they were fairly good...but just that. They perhaps should be trying Southern Italian Reds
down there.
Tom

And thanks for the Christmas Newsletter, Walt. Enjoy reading them, always.
Tom