The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lucchetti LaCrima Passito '03...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Lucchetti LaCrima Passito '03...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Took this wine for dessert at our recent BacchusBadBoys meeting:
1. Lucchetti DOC: LaCrima di Morro d'Alba Passito (15%; www.MarioLucchetti.It/en_US/; Massanois.com/about/) Morro d'Alba 2003 (?): Very dark/black color; very intense beautiful chocolaty/boysenberry/black syrup some spicy light earthy bit alcoholic light herbal/Mondeuse-like lovely nose; soft very intense chocolaty/boysenberry/licorice/blacxkberry/LaCrima quite sweet structured light earthy/dusty finish w/ light very ripe/soft tannins; very long/lingering quite sweet intense chocolaty/blackberry/boysenberry/LaCrima/licorice slight earthy soft/lush/mouthfilling rather complex beautiful finish w/ modest soft/ripe tannins; a beautifully intense expresion of LaCrima that blows away any Recioto I can recall. $25.00/500 ml (vSC)
1. I am a big fan of LaCrima di Morro d'Alba wines, as is SteveCostigan. When he stumbled across the Passito expression of LaCrima up in WashState, he knew I had to have a btl. I'd never heard of a LaCrima Passito before, so was eager to try it.
The wine is made from grapes left to dry in the lofts for 3 months. They also make three regular LaCrimas, a Verdicchio, and a Visciola. I would love to try them all,as this is a new producer for me.
Not sure about the vintage. I wrote down 2003. Their WebSite says their first Passito was 2006. I'll check and correct the vintage date later.
Anyway, I was mightly impressed by this wine. It reminds me not so much of a ReciotoValpolicela nor a Valtelline Sfursat. Moreover, I resembles mostly the one-off Ridge LyttonSprings PetiteSirah Essence they made back in the '90's.
Tom