The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 10 yr. old Marietta Cab.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 10 yr. old Marietta Cab.

by Jim Grow » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I found this wine 2007 Marietta Sonoma Cabernet, hidden away in my cellar recently and have no memory of buying it. My early introduction into their wine included the Marietta Old Vine Lot 4 ( or as Tom Hill would say....almost from the very beginning).
Very dark purple in color with some plum flavors and nose, very little evolution. I expected it to maybe be volatile at 15.6% abv but was not. Decanted for 5 hrs. with little apparent change. Tannins were mostly resolved. Definitely not a WOW wine but was expecting/hoping for something a bit more special. I have had a lot of their old vine lot XXX with better enjoyment.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: 10 yr. old Marietta Cab.

by Jon Leifer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 pm

I go back to either OV# 4 or 6, not sure which..but am currently up to OV #66..# 30 was a long time ago.
I don't think cab was ever their thing..Mostly zins and zin based blends..Drank the Marietta 2015 Roman Zin, tonight, 84% zin with PS and Barbera blended in, sourced from 3 vineyards and labelled North Coast.,
Big wine, doesn't really say Zin to me, probably the influence of the Pet and Barbera and wd probably benefit from another 2-3 yrs in cellars, tannins quite noticeable..Went well, however, with baked potato, creamed Spinach and Bison steak. Beautiful nose, great legs, kinda primary with a lotta of black fruit notes
Jon