The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Coming to Cape Town?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Coming to Cape Town?

by Peter May » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:26 pm

There probably aren't many, if any, on this board, but for anyone planning a trip to Cape Town in the next few months.

There is drought, the water situation is the worst it's been. There's a limit of 50 litres per person per day from the public supply and it's expected that Day Zero -- when the public water supply is turned off in the Cape Town area and taps run dry -- will be 12 April.

Bottled drinking water is now rationed by shops and people are starting to being hoard and shelves are emptying soon as deliveries come.

If you are coming to the Western Cape (the Eastern Cape is also affected) I suggest you check the situation with your accommodation.

Zero Day may not happen, the exact date changes and the rains may fall, desalination plants are being constructed, but the rainy season (which has failed the last three years) isn't due till May.

From a wine point of view. There's plenty available now. But the 2018 vintage is late as vines shut down during a very hot spell a few weeks ago. Berries are small and this years vintage will be around 30% smaller than usual.

water-retrictions.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Coming to Cape Town?

by Tim York » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 am

It will be a grim situation if Zero Day actually materialises. I guess that it will exacerbate social tensions. I read that there are forces in South Africa which would like to tip it in the direction of Mugabe's Zimbabwe. This water penury won't help emotions.

Here in NW Europe we take water for granted and suffer when there is too much like now.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:01 am

I'm not sure at all about that.

It's not affecting the whole country, not even all of the Western Cape. Even areas close to Cape Town, such as Hermanus and Franschhoek are in a better condition.

Meanwhile, I saw this sign in the restroom of a restaurant yesterday.

when-its-yellow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

It's 75 degrees and sunny and no rain in sight in California after a rainless December. Northern California had some rain in January, but the ridge of high pressure came back, and all of the rain is going north. :(

At least the reservoirs are full from the last winter.

Take care! And good luck!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach