The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Stunning Syrah from Enfield Wine Co.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Stunning Syrah from Enfield Wine Co.

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

2015 Enfield Wine Co. Syrah Haynes Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (2/6/2018)
I started with the Enfield Haynes Syrah with the first vintage, 2010. Doug Wilder of the Purely Domestic Wine Report tipped me off, and I jumped because I live in Enfield! It had been a very happy relationship since then, with well made, expressive Syrah, Chardonnay, Tempranillo and Pinot Noir. I always came back to the Syrah as my favorite (though that Antle Pinot is pretty amazing).

Tonight I opened my first bottle of the 2015 Haynes Syrah, and I was blown away. The inaugural vintage, 2010, was a bit of a lightning in a bottle moment. The 2011 through 2014 were all really good, but each had needed some time to knit itself together (which they did). The 2015 was all the way to eleven from the very first sip. It was integrated, balanced and expressive of the essence of Syrah. All the classic elements were in play. Roasted meat, red and black fruit, rosemary, hot tar, it was all there. The tannins provided a substantial structure, promising to hold all the pieces in place for years to come.

This is a really special Syrah. I haven’t been hit with a bolt of lightning in this way in a long, long time.
Decisions are made by those who show up