The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need a new cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Need a new cellar

by John Treder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm

My 17 year old Vinotemp finally died, so I need a new cellar before the weather warms up.
Any recommendations for a cellar to go in the garage that will hold about 20 cases? Hot days in the summer, cool nights here in Santa Rosa.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: Need a new cellar

by Doug Surplus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:39 pm

John, you might check with IWA . They're based in Petaluma and thus would be very familiar with your climate.

https://www.iwawine.com
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks! I'll give them a call. They do look a little more on the upscale side. I also need to call Vinotemp and see if I can get the cooling unit replaced.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm

So I tried to "chat" with Vinotemp and that didn't work, so I called them and got lost in the phone tree.
Then I called IWA in Petaluma and talked to Bruce there, who referred me to Henry Mechanical in Windsor, and now I have an appointment for a tech to show up on Friday. It'll be a couple of hundred for figuring out what to do, plus the price for doing it, but it'll still be a lot less expensive than a whole new box.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm

The service man was going to be here between 8 and 10 this morning. It was 7:15 and I'd just got out of the shower when the doorbell rang. So I pulled on some pants and sure enough, the service guy was early. He had the cooling unit removed and was off to the rest of his day's work before 8.
Better early than late or never, but it was a bit uncomfortable running around bare chested in 40 degree weather. After I got him going, I came in and got properly dressed.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:30 am

John - it's good the cooling unit can be removed. Some of the "cellars" available are assembled in such a way that repairs are not possible.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Congrats, John. Sounds like the best decision.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Amazing. The tech Erik from Henry Mechanical just called me. It's noon on Sunday! He took my cooling unit home to work on it and said the fan wasn't working, and he can't get the compressor to start. He'll try to jump the compressor across the thermostat (that isn't hard to do; I know what he's saying) and let mo know tonight or tomorrow afternoon what he finds. With the unit being roughly 20 years old, I expect I'll be asking them to order me a new unit, but I do appreciate his trying to figure out if the old one can be fixed.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Is it okay that I am using a cupboard to store and age my wines (2-5 years)? The room temperature is 22 degrees Celcius and the humidity is good.

Tonight, the forecast is cloudy with a 99% chance of wine
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 pm

2 - 5 years will probably be fine. I kept my wine in a bedroom closet for many years, and never had a problem. The longest I ever had a bottle back then was about 5 years. But when my desire to collect outgrew my closet, I had to do something about it. :)
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Got a new cooling unit installed in the cellar today. Has a button-push thermostat and LED display and everything. It seems to work, but it's cold enough today that it didn't actually turn on.
John in the wine county