The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '15 Fourrier and '99 Briailles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: '15 Fourrier and '99 Briailles

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 am

2015 Fourrier GC Aux Echezeaux
Nose is lovely and seductive, the joy of young modern and forward - but not glossy - Burgundy. Plenty of grip and finesse, plus it gains weight with air. Lots to like, especially if it were less expensive!

2015 Fourrier GC Vieille Vigne
This comes closer to living up to the price tag, because it leans more expressive and more seductive than the Aux Echezeaux. Rich and ripe with bursting Burg Berry fruit, so juicy, so succulent. But then also such fresh crystal clear cut. Still, not sure I'm a repeat buyer because of the price. But that's a personal calculation and this makes a very strong argument for itself.

1999 Chandon de Briailles PV Île des Vergelesses
Around 10 years ago I bought 3 bottles of this at retail. I finally got around to giving myself an excuse to open one, and was glad that I did. After double decanting (minimal sediment) it starts off a bit tight and tart, but quickly reveals sweet aging fruit, depth and layers of silky tannin that continue building over many hours.

No idea how 'perfect' bottles would show (I can't account for the first ten years of its life), but I was happy that no major flaws/heat damage were evident. And, for my palate, I may drink the next bottles sooner rather than later. Because I'm still the guy who enjoys the texture of resolved wines with flavors that are still recognizably from the cépage. And while there is plenty of room for this to evolve texturally, I fear I may not enjoy the further flavor evolution as much.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '15 Fourrier and '99 Briailles

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Yes, I miss the days when Fourrier village wines were $40. Once they passed $75 there were so many other, equally good, or even better options that I gave up. I was offered the ‘15 Gevrey VV, but at a price above the Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée, so you can guess where my money went.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Yes, I miss the days when Fourrier village wines were $40...

Those sound like very good days!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Decisions are made by those who show up