The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Giraud to Guiraud

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Giraud to Guiraud

by Bill Spohn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Feb 9 2018 lunch notes,Small group and some good wines.

2004 Domaine Latour-Giraud Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières – showing a bit of colour, nice citrus based nose with flinty edges, some apple on palate and tons of acidity in the finish.

1986 Château Sociando-Mallet – this wine was finally hitting stride – used to be hard as nails in youth. Still fairly dark with an excellent claret nose of black currant and hints of tobacco, on palate, a weighty wine showing significant soft tannins, but also gobs of dark fruit and very good length. Can’t account for some negative comments on this one that I’ve seen – just know I’m glad I held it (this was the first bottle I’ve opened).

1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve – I’m pretty familiar with this wine (still have most of a case in the cellar) and was pleased to find an Aussie wine with balance and reserve. Eucalyptus and bitter chocolate nose with minty high notes, and mellow and balanced but not too sweet on palate. Smooth long finish. Some would prefer this wine when it was young and brash with forward fruit, but I like it better now.

2011 K Vintners The Deal Sundance Vineyard Syrah – this Charles Smith winery in Walla Walla was new one on me. The wine showed quite dark with a blackberry and white pepper nose, and it was soft and sweet in the mouth – a very retsrained Northern Rhone sort of Syrah for Washington. I liked it.

2005 Château d'Aurilhac – this Medoc bourgeois was not one that I was familiar with, but it was obviously a claret from the nose, which showed little at first but opened a bit to dark fruit and cedar with time. Decent fruit in the middle and a drying finish. Decent.

2001 Château Guiraud – this sauternes was a great way to end. Mid amber with a floral rich nose of honey and vanilla, smooth, balanced and long. Wish I had this vintage in the cellar!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Giraud to Guiraud

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Remember Fox Creek from my earlier days!