The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Shake, Rattle & Roll

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Shake, Rattle & Roll

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

NV Matthiasson Cabernet Sauvignon Quake Cuvee - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/15/2018)
Blended from 2012 and 2013 Napa Cabernet (with touches of other Bordeaux varieties), this was produced to benefit victims of the 2104 Napa earthquake. It's amazing to think that while Steve Matthiasson's home was literally shaken off its foundation, he was able to turn his thoughts outward, and find a way to help the larger community.

With that kind of backstory, it probably only made sense to evaluate this wine in a blind setting, but I wanted to drink a Matthiasson Cabernet, so I opened one. Not surprisingly it was still very youthful, with cassis and dark berry Cabernet fruit on full display. Nothing remotely over the top here. Very little wood influence, allowing the expression of the grapes to come shining through. Overall it was quite integrated, and still showed a fair tannic bite, but not to a point of being drying or fierce, just showing some backbone.

Given the overall level of balanced fruit, I could see this wine going out another 3-5 years. It will be interesting to see the aromatic and flavor development of a Cabernet with this little wood influence.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Shake, Rattle & Roll

by Patchen Markell » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 pm

2022. No problem. :-)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am

Patchen Markell wrote:2022. No problem. :-)

I keep forgetting that it’s only 4 years from now. Feels like it’s still a long way. More like eternity. Must be the Trump effect.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Need to have a theme tasting. Think I still have some Turley Earthquake Zin.....
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I was going to suggest Shake Ridge, but apparently that name comes from the shake shingle, not the seismic shimmy.
cheers, Patchen