The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Sweeties...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Sweeties...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm

We had these three last night at BacchusBadBoys:
1. AlbanVnyds Viognier TBA EdnaVlly (9.1%) 2000: Dark gold/brnished bronze color; intense botrytis/apricotty/peach marmalade rather pear/peach/Viog fairly toasty/smokey/oak slight herbal very complex beautiful nose; soft quite sweet intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty some toasty/oak/tobaccoy very complex flavor; very long/lingering intense botrytis/apricotty some pear/peach/Viog quite sweet some tobaccoy/oak finish; a bright very alive TBA that will still go yrs.
2. Dow's Porto Vintage SilverJubilee (20.6%; 25'th year of the reign of H.M.QueenElizabeth II) 1977: Rather light garnet bit cloudy some bricking color; very strong spirty/alcoholic some cedary classic oldPort complex beautiful nose; soft some alcoholic/spirity bit cedary/smokey lightly sweet quite complex oldPorto flavor w/ light/fully resolved tannins; very long/lingering complex spirity finish; no fruit left to speak of and loads of spirity slightly sweet complex character. $20.30 (Q)
3. Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX GranReserva (17%) 1971: Very dark/black color; intense raisened/pruney intense PX some complex nose; very sweet very intense raisened/pruney very intense PX bit complex finish; very long/lingering very sweet/syrupy intense raisened/pruney/PX finish; not a lot of complexity and sorta in suspended animation; will live forever.
1. Alban: I have long maintained that heavy botrytis destroys varietal character, at least as I recognize it. Multiple times I've tasted side-by-side Novarro's BA/TBA from GWT/Riesling and could not tell the varietal, though just vague generic differences. This Alban TBA was one that I thought the Viog varietal character showed thru the botrytis. I would guess that it was harvested in the low-30's Brix.
2. Dow: Is one of my favorite vintage Portos because it not as sweet as most Portos. I have only limited experience with old Portos, but I usually find them dominated w/ an alcoholic burn to them. This '77 had lost all of its fruit and mostly only alcohol remained, but it wasn't a burning/fumey alcohol...more of a spirity alcohol like an old Cognac. This was terrific w/ the spiced/sweet nuts and Stilton.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Three Sweeties...(short/boring)

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the note on the Dow - I still have a couple of bottles and have ben wondering if they are ready yet (have been drinking Warres, which tends to be earlier maturing) in the mean time.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmm...

by TomHill » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Thanks for the note on the Dow - I still have a couple of bottles and have ben wondering if they are ready yet (have been drinking Warres, which tends to be earlier maturing) in the mean time.

Bill,
I really don't have the experience on drinking oldPorto to hazard a guess where this
wine is going to go. But I thought it was one of the better oldPorts I can recall.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Three Sweeties...(short/boring)

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I think it is just coming into optimum drinking window now with lots of time - which is why I've been reluctant to open my few bottles (but always hoping to taste others' bottles!)